Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cases for Photo Gear

Cases for Photo Gear

I use pelican cases for my 8x20's. They are about as strong as any case I've ever seen. The pick and pluck foam makes it as versatile as you will find for any configuration. Great cases and sledge hammer tough.

Cases for Photo Gear

it is funny to see cases made for photo gear described as bombproof.

The best cases for storing fragile gear are made by Zarges: waterproof, dustproof, far more rugged than anything else mentioned here , also light and stackable , are the Zarges cases, which are made to NATO military spec.

http://www.apgcases.com/zarges.htm

I've got two of the K475 model cases-- there is literally nothing else like them.

Cases for Photo Gear

Tenba. Tenba. <b>Tenba!!!</>
    jbhogan

Cases for Photo Gear

I use Pelcan for all my photographic gear: Blads & Sinars. The largest takes my Sinar 10x8 slides lenses and other bits with ease.

I have it fitted on a ss rack on the rear of my RV. Very sturdy and watertight. Easy to use, secure and fit out with foam that is supplied in abundance.

Not cheap-but neither is the gear they protect!

Cases for Photo Gear

For travel, Pelican for the camera and lenses; Lightware for lighting gear. The airport gorillas haven't broken anything yet.

Around town, Tenba camera bags and Lowepro backpacks.

I am really enjoying the "lunchbox" case I found at Duluth Trading company for carrying 8x10 holders, film and changing tent.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/35629.aspx

This case is amazing for what I can put in it while protecting the 8x10 holders!

Cases for Photo Gear

</b>

The Lightware cases I've had work really well and have outlasted the similar Tenba styles. Lately I have been carrying my smaller stuff in regular daypacks and briefcases because they look less tempting than camera bags, and I like going minimalist. But for lighting I stick with Lightware for the protection and weight advantages.

I use a Lightware 1629 for my 8x10 and it holds everything - including a daypack with holders, spare ground glass, and even a 300 series Gitzo tripod and dirty clothes. Carry the film and DSLR in the carry-on and fuggidaboutit.

Cases for Photo Gear

A clarification on locking checked baggage: My understanding is that TSA must be able to enter a locked bag. There are locks available for which TSA has a standardized key. They can open the lock and relock it. These locks are available from Brookstone and others. While I do usually lock my checked bags with these locks, the only times I've found notes from TSA indicating they have inspected my bags is when a bag has been unlocked, so I don't really know if they actually honor their own system. I never check my valuable photo gear (camera, lenses, meter, etc.), but carry-on instead and check everything else. It's also advisable to put a prominent note in your checked baggage requesting TSA to relock your bags.