Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ATV's and landscape photography?

ATV's and landscape photography?

I personally think the ATV idea is a good one, in fact I'm shopping for one as we speak. The key to their use, as mark so eloquently pointed out, is that they need to be ridden responsibly. Drive at a reasonable speed, use common sense and stick to designated trails. Where I live, there are thousands of miles of dirt roads that are simply too destructive to your common family car. An ATV will travel these roads much easier and much more cheaply than any car or truck. There is also an established (and well maintained) ATV trail system, that offers access to some out of the way places.

LOl...Damn Jack, after reading these posts I was beginning to think you got up and walked out of the Kyoto Accord. My best advice would be to do what ever your heart desires. I'm sure you'll act responsibly, what ever means of transportation you choose. But Kerry makes a good point . There will be some areas you can't get to. But you can spend the rest of your life and never cover all the areas you can get to. I just happen to like pack animals because my a$$ was raised on a Billy Cook saddle. I just happen to have had some of the most spiritual times in my life alone in the mountains at night with a fifth of scotch and a pot of rank coffee, talking with a 5 yr old buckskin mare. The more I drank the better the conversation got with that girl. And you can't beat the gas mileage.

Just thinking about being alone with a mule and bottle of Scotch... I vote for the ATV now.

robert,

Do you pack with crossbucks or deckers?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Come on Frank a Buckskin is not a mule, it's a quarter.....well never mind...you're right I'd recommend an ATV in your case.

If you read more you will see that Jimmy is not from Nunavut but from Southern Canada. He went "up there" in 1977 and hasn't left...

...why is it my comments are almost always at the end of a thread when the thrust of the conversation is pretty much over?? Maybe I spend too much time in my darkroom. I gotta get out more often.

John we used crossbucks. But it's been about 12 yr since I've been in the saddle. But I use to be able to tie double diamond, squaw and basket hitches in my sleep. I sure do miss it at times

robert,

I know what you mean, In a couple of months it'll be time to start conditioning the stock, go ing through the gear and making some plans. A couple of years ago I found a neat old volcano cone in the Ansel Adams, just above the tree line and I've been wanting to get my 8x10 up there. I hope ol' Milly Mule will be up to the task (actually, I hope I'll be up for it!) A heck of a lot of fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

What about a Hovercraft ? beats a wheeled vehicle!!