Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Your Tip

Name Your Tip

Use a fly rather than a tent, then you can get a good feeling for the sunrise from your bed. Attach a hydration system to the top of your camera pack, so you can sip water all day long (like a camel back). Look around you after taking a shot, sometimes there is another shot just there, and you don't even have to move the tripod. I once discovered this, when I didn't lock down the panorama bit on my ball head, the camera moved, and I thought I'd have a look and found a gem of an image. Walk slowly, and enjoy the environment which makes it easier to get in touch with your creativity. Take mental photographs, so that you can save a few for your memory. Use a walking stick to save your knees. Take a friend, for safety, company and inspiration. Leave the track, though don't tromp through some sensitive or regenerating environment. Talk to others you encounter along the way.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Name Your Tip

Speaking of lens wraps.

When I have a lot of bellows extension, say when shooting with a Nikkor 600/800/1200 convertible lens on 8x10, I fold up the lens wrap and put it between the camera bed and the bellows. This gently lifts the middle of the bellows, helps damp any wind sway in the bellows, and prevents the bellows from sagging, due to its weight, into the image circle.

Name Your Tip

I use a soft insulated lunch box for 4x5 film holders. I got one at WalMart a few years back. It holds the film holders like it was made for them.

Carry a film holder into the store with you so you make sure you get the right size.

Also, keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your roll film in a fanny pack.

Name Your Tip

Carry a film holder into the store with you so you make sure you get the right size.

the right size is that of a 6-pack :-)

G

Name Your Tip

I use a Xbox carry case to hold up to eight 8x10 holders - got it at Target, it's cheap and very sturdy and the holders fit beautifully. For 4x5 use Grafmatic holders mainly - cuts down on the clutter and the weight.
    Juergen

Name Your Tip

For a lens wrap, I use the pants cuff retainer that is used with waders to prevent pants legs from riding up while wearing chest waders. Mine came with a pair of waders, but you can buy them for less than $10. I lost one the other day, but of course I had a spare. I also use one for my spot meter case. They secure with velcro.

I bought several large carabiners from Home Depot for only $3 each. I use one to secure my wood tripod to the backpack. They aren't strong enough to hold a lot of weight like a climbing carabiner but they help secure lots of things.

Anyone have a cheap, practical idea for preventing a billowing dark cloth from blocking your view while trying to compose a shot in a stiff side wind?

Name Your Tip

I store and carry my lenses in empty CD holder cases. They are cheap and have a zipper all the way around and are just the right size.

Name Your Tip

Never, ever use a plastic trash bag as a ground cover in the snow when you are on even the slightest incline.

Frank--eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww

Name Your Tip

Snowshoes, and one of those tough green garbage bags. This way you can photograph in a blizzard if you want. Keep the garbage bag over the camera until you're ready to shoot. Detachable optical finders (I have them in 4x5 and 6x17 format, and the Noblex has one too) are brilliant for scouting the shot without uncovering the camera. Figure out exactly where the camera goes first.

Name Your Tip

Wrap pipe insulation around metal tripod legs and secure with Duct Tape superuser(learned this at a Western Mass Large Format gathering a few winters ago). Cheap and effective: keeps your hands from freezing to the tripod legs, and makes things more comfortable when carrying.

Instead of "photo trays", get small plastic clothing storage "boxes". (learned from Carl Weese)