Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Monolith -- too big for the field?

Arca Swiss Monolith -- too big for the field?

I am curious about this camera. I know it is heavy -- like 12 pounds -- but I'm curious how compact it can fold down to assuming you slip it out of its rail. It sure looks neat, but I'd like to know if it is reasonable to schlep within say a mile or so of my car. If anybody here has or uses one, I'd appreciate comments.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I'm not sure the word "fold" applies very well. If I was arranging to carry one very far, I'd remove the format frames from the function carriers, which is very easy to do, put both function carriers together at one end of the rail and have three categories (of the camera) to arrange to carry: The function carriers with rail (likely the heaviest part), The format frames with bellows (likely the lightest part), and lenses. If you plan on keeping lenses pre-mounted on lens boards, then you might want to consider keeping them on the smaller 110mm 6x9 lens boards and using the 4x5 to 6x9 reducing board (unless you're using the 6x9 front format frame anyways). If you're ok with the weight, that's the biggest obstacle, I think.

Take a look at the new Fmetric w/ orbix and 141mm standards. I own 5 Arcas and this camera has all the abilities and none of the bulk..EC

Within a mile? Sure. Other people indicate they do the same thing with a Sinar P.

But the question is why would you unless field work is such a small part of your photography that you can't justify a field camera. I've looked at a Monolith in a shop and although it's a nice camera, it certainly wouldn't be my choice for anything beyond "targets of opportunity" outside a studio. I've tried a 5x7 Norma for field work and eventually sold it (occasional regrets) because of the weight and portability issues. So unless your field work is incidental (and it sounds like it really isn't), you're enduring a lot of inconvenience with a studio camera for features which you can't really make full use in the field.

The extra size and weight mean you can't carry as many lenses, and can't go as far for a given "pain" level.

They make field cameras for a reason.

Steve

But it would look so sexy and high tech on top of your Cube! And you really need brand consistency, it just won't do to mix Toyo and Arca's Jack!

With 8x10 it was too heavy so I use F-line standards. They are small, light and durable. The F standards also make the camera more rigid (less height over the rail). Unless you are doing mostly studio work, I would stick with the F standards (or F-metric if you think you need geared movements).

How about an F-line with 110mm front standard, 141mm rear, and tapered bellows?

12pounds? Take the 8x10 view camera instead. :-)

I have a similar challenge. I have a 171mm Arca Discovery. It's an absolute 'beaut! It only weighs 6 or 7 pounds. But for me this is still to heavy. For situations where this is the case, I carry an Ikeda Anba that weighs in at 2 3/4pounds.

Arca is the most wonderfully smooth camera system I've ever used. I really wish it were lighter so I could take it with me when I travel on business.

I figured I would get the "go with the F-Metric/Orbix answer -- and it makes sense. BUT, I can get this Monolith pretty cheap ...

Frank: It is actually partly your fault I am even looking at the Arca! (Along with Kerry, Evan, Jim and the 30 or so other folks here that shoot with the Arca ... ) Heck, maybe I should go with Arca all the way and sell the VX125 (Sorry Scott )

Thanks for the inputs,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

PS: Does the Monolth have the 171mm standards or the 110mm standards?
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

They all were 171mm unless you're talking about the 6x9cm 110mm one.

Of course once you get a Monolith then you can buy lots of other parts and build hybrid variations...