Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5X7 Ansco - futher thoughts.

wfwhitaker

Re: 5X7 Ansco - futher thoughts.

I'll offer my vote for the Ansco 5x7. It's a great camera - depending on what you want it to do. If you're backpacking or taking architectural shots, there are better cameras, to be sure. But for studio and portrait work, it really can't be beat, at least for the price. One point worth mentioning is that the lensboard is 5 1/4" square. For the format, that's substantial. And it gives you the option of using some neat lenses you couldn't fit onto a 4" Deardorff board - if that's your schtick. An Ilex #5 shutter will fit on it. In my own bit of self-indulgence I have a Kodak 305mm Portrait (Ilex #5), a 12" Velostigmat variable SF, and an 11 1/2" Verito set up to work on the Ansco. I know that's not everyone's thing. But if you like working with old lenses, it's a very capable platform.

Fantastic camera, heavy, very quick to use. Super for the studio or if you don't have to move around too far, such as working out of the car. I just put mine in a box, and it sets up fast, with the lens already in place. I don't much enjoy folding up and unfolding cameras such as the Tachihara and rather rarely fold them, but these are handy in a pack if you need to carry them that way.

The Ansco has a nice handle, and unfolds in a jiffy. I may get a baby stroller to roll it around in. I also have a 4x5 back for mine, which is nicely made.

I will agree with Will, the Ansco 5x7 is truly a quality camera. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but I can put lenses on it that would most certainly make my dainty Wisner 5x7 PE lose sphincter control.

Nick must have the svelte version of the Ansco 5x7, my battleship gray model with nickel hardware tips the scales at steroid induced 9 lbs. 13 oz's., but the weight trade-off is a rock solid platform for your big glass!

Cheers,
    Geary

I lucked into both the Ansco and the Empire State at various auctions. I haven't tried modern lenses on either one, but I agree that the Ansco (both the 5x7 and the 8x10) are solid as can be, even with very heavy antique brass lenses on each.

The Empire state makes a fine location camera but it has only a very light F4 Bausch and Lomb lens in a Kodak Automatic shutter. A heavier lens might stress it out of parallel.

All are fun to use.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

[
    The Ansco has a nice handle, and unfolds in a jiffy. I may get a baby stroller to roll it around in. I also have a 4x5 back for mine, which is nicely made.[/QUOTE]

I use a rolling tool chest from Sears. It has lots of room for my 5x7 Ansco and two backs, plus other stuff in the bottom; has two additional trays for meters, etc. etc. And because of the trays and top kind of interlocking, it is really solid. With my arthritic back and knees, and my substantial girth, it makes a great sitzplatz for focussing and fiddling under the dark cloth. I love my Ansco.

I used one for a couple of years. It's a great low-cost camera - very stable, but heavy. Here are some pictures:

pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, pic6, pic7
    Craig McCormick
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I've got two Agfa Ansco Universal 5x7s and while they are great cameras, and if bought at a good price are excellent bargains I have to agree that they aren't as compact as 'dorffs. Does it make any real difference? Well, I'd certainly choose a 'dorff over an Agfa Ansco if I were hiking any great distance. but other than that I'd rather pocket the savings and spend it on glass and film holders. If I were going to use it in a studio or out of the trunk of the car, or on short hikes I doubt if it makes much of a difference. When hiking the most awkward component of LF is, IMHO the big heavy tripod!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Last year I bought a Burke&James 5x7 and like it very much.Although the rear standard seems a little shaky,have not noticed any soft negs yet but have named it shaky jake just to remind me of this .

Mike

I really like the ability to fold the camera with the lens mounted. Regarding the weight of the Ansco, It DOES have the sliding extension rail built in, so when comparing to other cameras be sure to consider the weight of their add on extensions.

The only 5X7 I had from 1953 until 2006 was an Ansco. I loved it. So easy to use. Such a stable platform to work with. But I work out of my 4WD pickup, so I never noticed the weight. I still shed tears about losing it when some vandals burned my house down. I now have a Seneca "Black Beauty", and a Burke and James, but they are poor things compared to an Ansco. I used it mostly for landscapes. As you can probably guess, I loved it!