Thread: Radical thought...

Scott Davis

Radical thought...

Just to clarify something....

1 entry found for bemoaning.
    be·moan ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-mn)
    tr.v. be·moaned, be·moan·ing, be·moans
    To express grief over; lament.
    To express disapproval of or regret for; deplore: “Tom Brokaw of NBC News recently bemoaned ‘the cancer of the sound bite’ afflicting Presidential campaigning” (John Tierney).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English bimonen, alteration (influenced by mone, moan), of bimenen from Old English bemnan : be-, be- + mnan, to complain of; see mei-no- in Indo-European Roots.]

(from dictionary.com)

Yes, Bemoan is the proper verb infinitive. Bemoaning is a perfectly grammatically correct way to indicate that someone is in the process of acting out the verb "to bemoan". As in, I bemoan, he bemoans, they bemoan, I am bemoaning, you are bemoaning, etc etc etc. Or are we no longer allowed to use transitive conjugations of verbs?

Scott Davis

Radical thought...

Another clarification:

From the OED online -

Keyster is listed as a variant spelling of Keister - (it is noted in both instances as American slang)

1. a. A suitcase, satchel; a handbag; a burglar's tool-case; a salesman's sample-case, etc.

[1881 National Police Gaz. (U.S.) 1 Oct. 10/1 Prominent among the small army of confidence operators in this city are: ‘Grand Central Pete’..‘The Guinea Pig’..‘Keister Bob’.] 1882 G. W. PECK Peck's Sunshine 227 The boy took the knight's keister and went to the elevator. 1910 G. B. MCCUTCHEON Rose in Ring 80 Ruby Noakes..was directing the contortionist in his efforts to construct a table out of three ‘blue seats’ and a couple of property trunks, or ‘keesters’, as they were called. 1926 Flynn's 16 Jan. 637/2 All this chatter 'bout keisters with false bottoms an' mushes is mostly pipe stuff an' hopchin. 1926 Clues Nov. 161/2 Keyster, handbag or suitcase. 1933 ‘P. CAIN’ Fast One vi. 211 Hang on the front..until you see three big pig-skin keesters go in. 1935 COLLIER & WESTRATE Reign Soapy Smith i. 2 An open sample case of liberal dimensions..the typical ‘keister’ of the street hawker. 1935 Jrnl. Abnormal Psychol. XXX. III. 363 Keyster, a suitcase. 1950 H. E. GOLDIN Dict. Amer. Underworld Lingo 114/2 Ditch that keister. It draws heat (attracts police attention).
    b. A strong-box in a safe; a safe (see also quot. 1924).

1913 A. STRINGER Shadow 36 He made a mental record of dips and yeggs and till-tappers and keister-crackers. 1921 P. & T. CASEY in Adventure (U.S.) 18 July 22/2 They..breaks inter the keester o' the bank safes an' gits away with all the stored-up jack. 1924 G. C. HENDERSON Keys to Crookdom 409 Keister, bars on certain type of safe. A handbag that can be strapped and locked. 1931 Amer. Speech VII. 110 Can we use can-opener on this keister? 1950 H. E. GOLDIN Dict. Amer. Underworld Lingo 114/2 Easy on the soup (crude nitro-glycerine) with that keister or she'll jam.
    2. The buttocks.

1931 Amer. Speech VI. 439 Keister, a satchel; also what one sits on. 1951 WODEHOUSE Old Reliable xi. 132 And then they'd leave me flat on my keister and go off and buy candy and orchids for the other girls. 1968 McLean's Mag. Dec. 1/1 His job at Christ the King was defined by Father Mooney as ‘getting people off their keesters’. 1975 New Yorker 10 Mar. 90/2 Just put your keyster in the chair and shut your mouth.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Radical thought...

Interesting, so very interesting. I'd love to chat some more, but I need to pull the film out of the washer. Shot 8 sheets this AM. I might even have a need to shoot some more later this afternoon. I'm do-ing my part!

You seem to have been very busy too.

Have a great week-end!

Radical thought...

Scott D.,

That's probably the most interesting part of the thread! Thanks for posting.

Steve