Ok, I run the risk of getting blasted for this, but it's an idea while this film subject is fresh on my mind. I am curious if this concept may have some legs. Sometimes pre-planning is the ONLY solution for future disasters.

This post relates mostly to LF color film, as B&W is not as vulnerable to the big two makers. Of course there is no reason not to incude B&W, but color seems the most likely to suffer total extinction in the near future.

When film ends its life, just think of the all that is effected.... photogs camera gear will be near worthless, LF camera builders will slowly go down with the ship, LF lens makers will suffer greatly, MF film cameras such as 6x17 cameras, rotational cameras will be probably fold, workers in film plants will be forced out of work into early retirement as their skills are not very marketable, (like a Zepplin builder after the Hindenberg disaster), many users who can not afford digital will loose their passion / hobby, libraries that desire to archive using film will have no source, thousands of stereo camera users will abandon their craft as film is their end product, even though it is mostly, 35mm, etc. To the big two film makers, this volume is not worthy of their consideration, but it may be enough to find alternatives?

Anyway, I am curious what has happened in other fields through history where markets decreased so low there was very little demand for that product, factories shut down, yet there was still a need for the product, but on a significantly reduced basis? I assume this is one of the reasons co op's were formed?

Now, I know the idea of a film co op is a bit of a stretch after other posters have shared just how capital intensive the film making process is, which could be the dagger to this concept. But what if an organization was formed that included all those who had in interest in the future of color film (and possibly B&W) and the chemicals to process such, joined together, invested into a co op, and all agreed to buy film from the co op. Is it possible enough demand from all these parties could start some type of film making facility by acquiring assets such as those from companies such as konica who will probably scrap their machines? Maybe the world wide demand is so small, it would never make sense. Of course the biggest problem would be finding someone to spearhead such an effort which would take years to develop. Maybe someone who owns a LF magazine publication could spearhead an article on this subject to see how many players step up to the plate and show interset? Maybe there is more worldwide interest then we think?

Any thoughts?