Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which CF tripod for backpacking with 4x5

Which CF tripod for backpacking with 4x5

Gotta love this forum--thanks for the information.

Should have mentioned that I currently use a heavy Bogen tripod with a heavy bogen head or the Kirk ballhead for my hike within three miles setup--total weight about 10 pounds.

We all realize the optimum would be to just bring a llama,donkey, or horse along--or guide to carry our equipment--and while at it a few bottles of cabernet--for after the sunset....ahh that would be nice--and am actually thinking about that for one trip this summer--but normally not practical due to cost.

Thinking the Gitzo 1127 with the RRS BH-25 pro might be the ticket for me---I think total weight for tripod and head is under or close to 2lbs. I ws thinking the acratech head but seems like many have pointed towards the RRS or the Leica B+S(which I might also look into a bit more).

RRS says the 25 is good for up to 8 lbs or so---anyone used the 25 and have some advice ?

It seems like the 1127 leg angles are narrow--and from what I have heard they can easily be filed down to provide a more stable support.

I recently returned from a trip to Bryce and Zion---where I used my heavier setup(as that was all I had)--I really had no problem carrying it--but then I wasn't hiking 10-15 miles with it either.
    And the best day of shooting at Bryce -- a storm was moving in with dark-ominous clouds and ultimately a blizzard--I couldn't get the 4x5 out of the car for the wind--but I did get some great shots with my Canon 20D. No tripod setup short of a fixed steel column would have worked.

I also did a solo trip to Langley in the fall--where I was testing some ultralight stuff for backpacking--and did not take the 4x5 because of the weight--in hindsight--I regret not having had the 4x5 with me--and came back with some feeble pt. and shoot digital images that were sufficient for snapshots--and the web and email.

Definitely a balancing act trying to find the "ultimate solution"--part of the fun seems to be in the hunt for the right equipment--just as in outdoor photography where much of the enjoyment comes from the hunt for the "perfect shot"!!

Thanks
    Ron

Opps - Sorry - I have the G1227 MKII - it has 3 leg sections.
    Jack

Anyone read the tripod test article in the latest issuse of LFI on vibration and dampening of tripods?

One fairly light and compact help to tripod stability is the metal tent "stake" shaped like a corkscrew. I think they are still available from sporting goods stores. Adjustment is easier with some bungee cord between stake and tripod.

OK Bob, what's LFI and where can we find it?

Ernest, would you please describe the technique a little bit?

Don't know where you would buy it at retail. It is the magazine Leica publishes.

http://www.lfi-online.de/ceemes/show.php?lfi_index_english

any of the few stores left which specialize in Leica usually stock it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Here's something new which might not meet your needs, but thought I'd post it anyway.

Don't own one, but I find it tempting.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pod/index.html

The Really Right Stuff ground pod can't get tall, but it only weighs 2.6 lbs. I do own some of their panoramic stuff, and found everything is very very well made.