Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 4x5 and 35mm SLR system

Backpack for 4x5 and 35mm SLR system

How about Kinesis? http://www.kinesisgear.com

Their modular system has proved very useful for me. I was able to carry a pared down 35mm system for my wife, my Mamiya 6 kit, and a 3-lens 4x5 kit (with several graphmatics and tons of 120/4x5 film) with me. Do I in retrospect wish I'd only brought the Mamiya? yes. But it was nice to be able to bring all that gear and be able to separate it out as needed. Whenever I wanted it all, I brought the pack. When I only wanted the Mamiya (which all fit ain a very small bag), I could either put a strap on the bag, carry it on the belt, or keep it in the pack (with a nice 3-liter water bladder which came in handy quite a few times... nice for the plane trips too).

Anyway, it worked great for me, and I can't do anything but recommend it. Probably not the cheapest route by the time you get all the little bags for inside the pack, but unlike most packs you can access your gear and keep the bag standing up (which it does pretty well by itself).

I guess I could be considered a glutton for punishment. My "normal" pack is an early version of the LowePro Super Trekker in which I carry a Toyo 4x5, 3 lenses (360, 210, 90), Readyload holder, 40 sheets of Quikload, a Calumet 6x9 roll back, twenty to thirty rolls of 220, a Pentax 67 with three lenses, (135, 45 and a 2x doubler), and Canon Digital Rebel with at least one zoom lens. The tripod straps on down the middle of the back on this beast between long thin pockets that hold my dark cloth, water, rain gear, flashlight, snacks, etc. Tent and sleeping bag strap on underneath when I overnight. The rest goes in the oversize pockets of my Domke vest including all my Lee filters, spotmeter, loupe, etc. The whole mess usually weighs in at around 70 lbs. When I am travelling light, I'll unload the 4x5 system and put in a couple more DSLR lenses. If I really want to pare down, I'll go with the LowePro Trekker AW and the Pentax. In each instance that the 4x5 is packed, it is always dead center at the bottom of the pack with the film and holders on either side. Lenses get stack up the middle. The 67 system is equally distributed left and right, with one place reserved for the DLSR. Hiking poles make navigating much easier on and off trail. Can't imagine life without them.

Keith,

Wow! I asked if somebody was as crazy as me and found somebody that beat me hands down. Could you please email me a picture of the inside of your big Lowepro (if you have one)?

Thanks Jon for the Kinesis link, there might be some potential there.

My vote for the Lowepro Super Trekker II as well. It has all the accessories kit and built with much intuitions and hi-tech fabrics. I am currently using the Lowepro Photo Trekker II, it's one size smaller, though the largest size of its kind for carry-on, but still has all the essential features as the Super Trekker II.

Chris:

I'm pretty certain you could fit it all into the large f.64 backpack with no problems.

Thing that's nice is the separate top/bottom compartments & also that the straps wrap around the front nicely if you don't want the straps all over the place when you're not using it as a backpack.

Also a vote for the Kinesis line as I have some of their stuff & very pleased with it as well as customer service.

I've forgotten the most important space saving technique - throw away the silly dividers. Or at least most of them - use the larger longer ones to keep the heavier camera from banging around but otherwise protect things with wraps and smart packing. The idea of having a tackle box with a niche for each lens and item is what eats up the room in these camera backpacks.

I took the thinking further and now avoid using "camera" backpacks altogether - currently I have a couple of sizes of moderately priced daypacks. I wrap my camera stuff in Domke lenswraps, Zing Neoprene cases, small ditty bags - clear Ziplocs works just fine, and other soft sided protectors from various sources. Earlier I had several smaller Kinesis cases, which were excellent but even these proven to be larger than I needed.

When I went to 8x10 I gave up hopes of backpacking it although I am sure it could be done, especially if I found a nice "sleeve" so I could slip the body into a larger case. As it is, I carry holders, meter, gadgets in a pack and toss the camera on tripod over my shoulder for shooting. But for 4x5, slipping a field camera into a Kinesis or Gnass case, the Readyload system into a Gnass Film Holder case, and the lenses either into individual wraps or special Gnass cases makes a lot of sense - then just use whatever backpack suits your needs. Zing makes a nice "pro SLR" everyready neoprene cover that fits my D70 - I would never use it other than for in the pack protection - but it is nicely fitted and protective.

So check out:
    Zing
    Kenesis
    Gnass Gear

A free yourself from the tyranny of Lowe-Pro, etc.

I had a large Lowepro for my Sinar, but the load was too much for more than short hikes. Now I put my Toho 45 in a 1lb daypack with four lenses in a gnass case.

I have noticed that the dividers kill all the space also. I have been half way tempted to design my own: buy a backpack, some padding, and some velcro and then have it sown to my specifications.

I emailed Kenesis last night and asked them if they had a setup that would hold my list of gear. Their reply made it sound like it might be possible, although a very tight fit. It would also be a bit expensive once I bought every piece that I needed.

So it looks like there is no "perfect" solution, which is no surprise. I guess now I just need to figure out which combination/system would work best for my needs.

Thank you all.

Are the Gnass lens cases large enough to hold lenses with the lensboards on?

There are several sizes of Gnass cases. The one I have has an internal dimension of 4.25 inches. My lenses are on Technica boards.

There is also a larger size 6.5 inches.

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_info.cfm