Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To fly my LF gear or not. What do I do ???

To fly my LF gear or not. What do I do ???

Danie-

I have not taken my LF (4x5) gear to California - yet. But I am seriously considering schlepping it along on the next trip. There is so much to photograph in the San Francisco area that just begs for LF - from coastal scenes along Rt. 1 t0 the old fortifications it Marin Headlands to fog and trees just about everywhere. And if you are heading to Napa Valley (you did say food and wine), the opportunities there are boundless.

I use a LowePro backback to carry my camera (a Zone VI lightweight), two lenses, a meter and some holders. Normally, my tripod is strapped to the backpack. I am fairly certain that the tripod would cause the security folks some heartburn (it could be used as a weapon), so I would plan to either wrap it in underwear and bury it in the bottom of a suitcase, or put it in its own bag and check it as luggage. The backpack would fit into the overhead and would be carryon. I have a small bag that my wife purchased many years ago to hold her camcorder that I would use to transport additional holders, a box of unexposed film, three empty boxes (N, N-1, and N+1), a changing bag and a paperback book (it's a long flight to California). This bag would also be carryon and would fit easily under the seat.

I would plan to get to the airport two hours ahead of the flight (as a frequent flyer, I've learned that this is just plain common sense), and I would let my film go through the x-ray machine. As long as there are no problems with flights that screw up my schedule, I know that the film will only be x-rayed twice - once on the outbound trip, and once on return - and my experience is that this is not enough to cause a problem (for me).

Now about the Air Canada rules - I am intrigued about the idea of flying with "urns containing human remains" . I suspect we could have some fun with that one!

Daniel,

I have a Porter Case that I originally bought for the express purpose of flying with an 8x10 field camera. It can easily be configured to carry a camera, two lenses, light meter and a few film holders and a a few other odd bits ... how much additional stuff depends on the size of your camera. I have used it with both a Philllips Compact II and a Wista double extension. I chose the Porter because it is a rock solid, sturdy hard case that I was not uncomfortable checking if forced to do so at the last minute. At the same time it is a great case for carryone with wheels and is also convertible to serve as a 'dolly' or platform to hold all your other bags. It can support a weight of 200 pounds. I have literally run through airports with a bag of clothing and a large aluminium case on top of the Porter with no mishaps. My only caveat is that my case is one of the original Porter cases from some 5-8 years ago when they were manufactured in the US by Porter. They are now made overseas and I have no idea if the quality has remained the same.

If you want some snaps of the beast send me a note offlist.

I just did a 5 week trip to South Africa with an 8x10 (and a wife, four year old and two year old....) - definitely take it. I have a Pelican case which I customized for the camera and just checked it - I packed film holders and my tripod and head in my other checked luggage and carried my film and lenses in my carry-on (along with a couple of other cameras). I'd be pretty comfortable packing a field camera into a hard case too. Have just spent the past week developing many sheets of film and maintaining my tan with a Nuarc plateburner! The whole trip went so well, I am now working on the "easily portable" 11x14 outfit!

I've wrapped cameras and lenses in clothing and centered them in a checked bag, with no problems. Clothing is by its nature an excellent padding material. In terms of damage, I bet I could do my equipment more by underpadding it and slinging it up into the overhead, than is likely if it is buried in a suitcase.

Whatever approach you use, once you've survived a couple flights, you will get used to it.

Of course carry any film, exposed or not; on one trip my 160 film went through 9 carry-on x-rayings, with no problem.

I'm going to Europe with my 8x10 in a Lightware 1629 case, with everything inside that one case except for film. If one part of my outfit gets lost or stolen the camera is unusable anyway, so why separate it and lug more than you need to?

I'm sick of lugging crazy 40 lb carry-ons - this time I'm just taking my laptop, travel junk, books, DSLR with one lens, and a couple of film boxes - it's still a load and a half but relatively light and sane compared to trying to pack lenses and holders too.

Make sure your insurance will cover any eventuality. Then fly. If the camera doesn't get there in one piece (or at all) call your agent when you get home. Otherwise, you'll get to take the photos you imagine...

If you are not sure then why not call Calumet in San Fran and arrange for a rental. I went with a 2.25 SLR and 4 lenses and arranged fo 50 rolls of e-6 and prosession so I got the film and did a test roll on arrival the at the end dropped off the film and had the processed film couriered. Essentially no hassel at all. You could just fly in like avisiting pro.

Items permitted but not considered part of the allowance include camera, coats, purses (25cmx30cmx20cm or less), urns containing human remains, strollers, child restraint systems, canes, crutches, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items and other similar items.

Well there you have it ! Now you just need to find a large enough Urn.

On a serious note however, I am planning a trip via aircraft as well, and want to carry my 4x5 system. Luckly for me, my Sinar system fits nicely inside of its 'briefcase' - which is oversized for carry-on, but according to my carrier (Southwest), they will allow it. As for my tripod (Consists of a Bogen 3047 Head and 3021 Legs), Im going to place it in my dufflebag, along with my clothing; that way I will be able to carry on everything.

FYI - Southwest's Policy

Media cameras are exempt from the sizing box restriction imposed on other carryon luggage. If the camera is to be secured in a seat, however, a ticket must be purchased for that seat.

Items permitted but not considered part of the allowance include camera, coats, purses (25cmx30cmx20cm or less), urns containing human remains, strollers, child restraint systems, canes, crutches, walkers, [b]containers carrying life sustaining items and other similar items.[b]

Can a view camera be considered a life sustaining item?

Take it, carry it on board with you. I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic Camera Backpack as well as hand carry a black Bogen CF tripod. Sometimes I do get looks from passengers so I just smile and say something in a more comforting American accent. Never had a problem stowing them as I always board asap to ensure overhead space. Sometimes I do pack the tripod in checked baggage and to avoid rippoffs the tripod is disassembled including each leg section. Maybe I am paranoid but the theory goes that most thiefs are opportunistic and a disassemled tripod is too much work relative to the reward.