Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lens should I but first?

What lens should I but first?

A 300 mm lens will provide a nice head and shoulder portrait but lack the depth of field of either a 240 or 210 mm lens. Since neither portrait work nor landsca pe work requires much lens movement apart from tilting, many photographers prefe r a compact, light weight lens in these lenses, to a bulkier lens with greater c overage. The Schneider 210 G-Claron is relatively compact, lightweight, uses a C opal 1 shutter, can be used with a 49 mm filter, and is ideal for 1:1 closeups, and is widely used for landscapes at infinity focus. The Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 21 0 mm is virtually identical. Some people claim that the Nikkor 200 mm M-lens is contrastier and preferable for black and white, but cooler than the Schneider an d Rodenstock. Others say that there is no difference in lens characteristics amo ng these brands. These small size lenses are limited to f9 apertures and are not as bright as the bulkier f5.6 lenses. I have been able to focus a f9 lens in th e shade where EVs were in the 7 and 8s, but I have found that f5.6 lenses make i t much easier to see the image clearly. I once owned a f5.6 Rodentstock N 210mm lens that uses a 67 mm filter, but replaced it with a Schneider 210 mm G-Claron, because I wanted a lighter lens that could do a better job with close-ups and u ses a filter that matched the filter ring size used for my Rodenstock Sironar S 135 mm. Some people claim that you should buy all of your lenses from only one m anufacturer, to ensure color consistency, but I have mixed them and never seen a ny disadvantages in so doing.

I looked and couldn't find the Bob Wheeler's article for visualizing lens focal length by using a wireframe tape measure. Could someone post the URL?

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/. - Scroll down to "Misc" and download the adobe reader format file