Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Tim, what's the dimension of the opening in the front standard?

the dimension of the actual circular front opening/throat is about 85mm (just measuring with a ruler).

Also, the square/rectangular front panel that takes the technika style lensboard is also slightly recessed (it does have a curved cutaway at the bottom) - so I understand a Copal 3 an similar sized shutter need a board which has a slight (1/4"?) extension built into it.

Maybe I should just take some quick digi pix when I have time and get them added to the Explorer review page - showing the new lensboard and also the new focusing screw arrangements...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Tim, thanks for following up. Some digisnaps would be great when you have a chance.

Re: Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Does anyone know for that a 240 apo sironar s will fit an 8x10 phillips explorer?

Drew Wiley

I have a very early Phillips compact, almost a prototype. But I use a Sinar to Technika adapter board, and the only lens I use which I wouldn't want to mount on
    the smaller board is my Fuji 600C. Anything with a 3 shutter you will probably have
    to shim out, including a 355 G-Claron. The alternatives have been discussed in recent threads, including a new Schneider lens. I personally use a 360A Fujinon,
    which is quite portable due to the 1 shutter, and also have plenty of coverage for
    8x10. Fabulous at very close range too. Though reputedly rare and expensive, I have
    counted eleven of them up for sale in the last year, some under 1K.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Does anyone know for that a 240 apo sironar s will fit an 8x10 phillips explorer?
    It will work fine provided that you use the spacer to move the shutter off the lensboard - i.e. Place it it in front of the board (so that the shutter sits slightly forward of the board) and the lensboard has the hole drilled perfectly on center; not off-center as the genuine Linhof Tech boards (and some other genetics) are.

I have that spacer for the Copal 3 in front of my Technika board.
    As I can remember that spacer made it possible to use the shutter on the Linhof Master Technika.
    It has my Imagon 250mm on it by the way.

8x10 and Technika boards has its limitations: if you can live with it great.
    The rear of my 210W does not fit the hole of the Linhof Technika size front standard, so it's mounted on a Sinar board for my P2.

Peter