Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burtynsky

Burtynsky

"I only bring up my work out of jealousy and coincidence. In spite of my nit-picking, my hat's off to the guy for being so ambitious and hard core. It takes a lot of self-promotion and confidence to put yourself out there so I can tear it apart when I haven't done a fraction of his work. "

I'd certainly have to agree - he has worked extremely hard at and succeeded at making a name for himself. Which - like it or not - is what it takes....

"What about Chris Jordan's work? Large color in the same genre - by all accounts Chris is a great guy and hard worker - but couldn't you apply the same criticisms to his work as Burtynsky's?"

Roundabout answer... I have almost exactly the same problem with Burtynsky's fellow Canadian Polidori - though I find Polidori less ambiguous. Although he has flirted with the art world and done some nice books - in reality he is still an architectural/editorial photographer at heart - albeit one who has poked the boundaries a bit by incorporating some of the new color/topographics/Dusselforf School stuff into his commercial and editorial work.

Anyway - after seeing a post on here I looked at the recent New Yorker with Polidori's images from New Orleans - and I had the same " it doesn't quite grab me and I can't quite put my finger on why" response as I did to the Burtynsky show. Now, when I read you post I took a quick check in to Chris's site to remind myself of some of his images - and there was his work from N.O. (which he has talked of briefly on here). Again, it's really hard for me to quite say why, but Chris's stuff just - of the self-same subjects - just catches me in a way Polidori's didn't. It's subtle, and they are playing with the same paintbox but for me there is something there in Chris's work that isn't in Polidori's (one - but only one thing - I think Chris is much less ambiguous about what he's doing and why he's doing it than both Burtynsky and Polidori - he is both saying "hey - we produce all this crap really sucks - whether you agree with that or not :-) - but he also says - wow - cool - when I saw all this it was just asking to be photographed and I really get excited about how it all "looks" - about how great a photograph it makes - and he is apologetic about neither).

Finally I looked at Chris's other work which I know quite well - and for most of it - even when it's things he's photogrpahing that Burtynsky might have already covered - again, I usually find just a subtle something there that is lacking for me in Burtynsky. it's really hard to place - but after looking at a whole series of Chris's work I just come away in the end going - yeah...

And Chris still very much plays with colour and form and scale - especially with stuff in amongst the "ugly" - but I do find (or more feel) something else there too.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Burtynsky

anyway..

If I can make it, I should get my chance to find out first hand:

http://www.edmontonartgallery.com/programs/Prog_act_events/Art101.htm
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Burtynsky

Hey Tim et al,

Just stumbled on your forum while searching for stuff on the New Topographers. People keep telling me because of my new work (wwww.petersibbald.com... look under Recent work/Land Use), I should be educating myself about that group. There is a coldness and an intentional neutrality that springs from the post modernist critique (damnation more like) of the social documentary tradition from which I spring and I'd like to think that my stuff has a little more heat... though probably at my jeopardy when it comes to arts council juries. I did stumble on an interesting new body of work by a RISD prof Steven B. Smith (http://www.stevesmithphotography.net/) whose new book (produced by Duke U.) won a big prize from the Honickman Foundation. He has a one hour talk akin to the Ryerson Kodak lectures webcasts at http://ilecture.oit.duke.edu/ilectures/ilectures.lasso?ut=22&id=744

Cheers,
    Peter