Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vitriolic abuse

vitriolic abuse

jj,

It appears most here must be "brown nosers" as well. In the end though, you overstepped....and digging your heels in doesn't make any of us respect you more. If the last week is indicitive of your future posts....I hope you take a well needed vacation from the forum altogether.

Regards,

vitriolic abuse

Dear LFers,

What's wrong with you people? Don't you realize how many people you help every day via your contributions? I live on the other side of the planet, and if it weren't for all of you I wouldn't even know that such a thing as large format photography still existed! Now look at me. I have acquired an extensive system and the knowledge that goes with it: all because of you. So stop quibbling over irrelevance and exercise control over the egocentrism please. Believe it or not, others all over the world depend on your knowledge and experiences. Just as I cannot walk out on one of my patients who verbally abuses me on finding out that he is no longer in remission from cancer after months of treatment; neither should Paul Butzi walk out on those who need him the most. We all have our egos to grapple with, and no one likes to have it affronted. However, we all have our responsibilities, and to shirk them always harms those most vulnerable. And we are vulnerable. Large format photography is under assault: eroded by sweeping changes in the technological landscape. You are the few who keep something special, alive. This is the Large Format Photography Forum, populated by those practising at the pinnacle of what can be achieved in photography. Accept your charge with humility and do your part to make the world a better place.

vitriolic abuse

From this forums Posting Guidlines:

"The forum is only for questions specific to LF photography. General photography questions and questions related to photography with other formats should be asked elsewhere, for instance on photo.net, although there is a bit of tolerance for frequent contributors.

Do not make personal attacks. Name calling and character assassination are not appropriate. If you disagree strongly, attack the opinions or ideas expressed, not the other contributors. Remember that your words here are archived forever. Don't write anything you might regret later. "

To those who repeatedly refuse to not adhere to this forums policies I hope you quickly curb your behavior. For such actions are not only offensive to all who read and participate but also a slap in the face to Quang-Tuan Luong and the others who helped bring this forum back to life and keep it going at no financial cost to all of us. I for one certainly hope the moderators will step in and take some overdue action.

vitriolic abuse

"It's a photography forum not a political forum.

Philosophy might apply, for example, to discussions about aesthetics, but injecting politics, religion, or other controversial topics should be done elsewhere."

I concur 100% with Jonathan... :|

Take politics to an appropriate forum!

Paul,

I have to agree with some of the other posters... you HAVE contributed in a positive fashion over the years. It's a real shame that you're allowing yourself to be driven away in this manner!

IMHO, cutting off your nose to spite your face is hardly the way to sign off!

So, stick around and continue to be a positive influence... but leave the politics the hell out of here!

JJ,

You obviously have strong feelings about the subject matter and I respect and accept your beliefs as they apply to YOU! But, I have one thing to say and that is.... "you sure have an obnoxious way of communicating... I'd expect more from a "mature" person!"

Again, I'll reiterate... this isn't the right forum for politicizing one's viewpoints! Leave them the hell out of here! If you don't want to do this... then, might I suggest you take a walk! And, don't let the door slap you on your way out! We can do much better without all the bitterness and animosity! Grow up! This applies not only to you... but to all the others as well!

As for everyone else... there are some GREAT people on this forum whose agenda has always been to help other photographers learn about LF photography. And, there are folks here who have spent a lot of time and effort in ensuring that a forum such as this exists for new and experienced LF photographers to share their valued knowledge. Let's continue supporting their efforts... without the political bull-crap! :|

If we allow this forum/site to self-destruct, it'll be a REAL loss to the LF community and if we let these few individuals continue... it most certainly will self-destruct! Is this what we REALLY want????

As for the moderators... you need to take a much more proactive approach in your responsibilities! This posting is clearly unacceptable and reflects poorly on the original mandate of the forum!

Peace!
    Life in the fast lane!

vitriolic abuse

I suggest that the following be added to the guidelines: If anyone who attacks other individuals, continually posts topics that are off topic and not constructive to LF photography be banned for 30 days from the forum. And have those posts removed as soon as possible. If someone who after being banned from the forum returns again with the same destructive behavior, as outlined in the guidelines they should be banned again, a third time and they are out for good.

I've forwarded this suggestion to the moderators, let's hope we hear their point of view on all of this.

vitriolic abuse

Recent behavior by some people has indeed been over the top. The last problem we had was a watershed moment for Tuan and the moderators of this forum. We're forming a new policy, and behavoir like what we've seen won't be tolerated. I apologize that it has not yet been implemented. It's taking some time for us to consider the different options that we have available. We will post and begin to enforce the new policy as soon as we can.

In the meantime, I've sent a message to JJ and requested that he not return.

vitriolic abuse

Thanks, Neil.

vitriolic abuse

Neil,

I'm pleased to hear that you and the management team are implementing new policies to curb this sort of unruly behavior... it's certainly not something we need to read on this forum.

As I said above... there's lots of great people on this forum and they've provided a tremendous amount of time and effort towards helping new and experienced LF photographers alike. Likewise, there are folks here who have dedicated great effort toward keeping the forum a viable site for the dissemination of LF information. It would be a terrible shame to see all this positive work go to waste over the likes of a few "childish kids" who cannot/will not control themselves!

So, thank you for expending even greater effort(s) to making this forum a first class place to learn and expand our knowledge of LF photography!

Cheers!
    Life in the fast lane!

vitriolic abuse

1. I don't think that actually BANNING someone is going to work since he/she can find another way to log on and continue, at that just for the fun of it

2. I do agree that anything of above sorts should be removed at the earliest opportunity without explanation given

3. We must do our best not to take a bait and, as someone said earlier, respond to the topic and skip the rest

4. Personally I have not once been offended (or distructed) by posts not specifically related to LF (and any digital question falls at the very worst in a grey area, plus more and more of us have little choice but learn the digital route anyways). I doubt there is one person here who does not use smaller than LF format. I've seen very few questions of that kind anyways.

5. I have however, been very much offended by many politically charged, idiotic at that, comments and find them written by primitive minds at best. As said before I fail to find a connection between politics, religion, gender, and ethnic background in any way related to the craft of photography. It has no place here and should be removed ASAP.

6. While my work schedule removes me from the internet for a couple of months at a time, I always look forward to reading, learning, and possibly contributing here.

7. I certainly hope we as a group, will find a smarter way to cope with this issue. Ban on anything has never worked. In fact it fuels the issue and thus allows it to thrive.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

vitriolic abuse

Thank you Neil. It indeed had gotten out of hand.

David