Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: how many use Durst 138 enlargers

Re: how many use Durst 138 enlargers

Quote Originally Posted by kapro View Post
    51 hours by car, 3500km, Channel tunnel,4 Red Bulls, couple of coffees.... and yesterday I brought Durst138S with a table and condenser head with 4 diffusers to it's new home. Yesterday, while having coffee break on the way home I succeeded to buy another 240 condenser and today I have tried to understand how to use the focusing target??? on top of the Nega 138 negative carrier. Although I haven't found it out yet I at least cleaned the negative carrier and lenses.
    Of course I meant condensers, no diffusers. ..

I was experimenting with the focusing target but didn't find any solution. Meopta's negative carrier has something similar on their negative carrier but much simpler. I'm confused by adjusting height level of the target fo Nega 138. It has sense to use it for focusing if it's in the same level as the plane of the negative but I've got no idea how to adjust it. I found couple of questions on this particular problem on the net but no answer. Seems to be a taboo..

Andrew

I think that you need a special transparency to use the focusing target on the table. I saw one on eBay once long ago...

To use the focusing target on the Nega 138, first focus a random negative using a grain focuser. Then, slide the negative carrier out until it locks into the second set of stops -- you should see the + target on your easel. Next, locate the knob extending form the the rear right corner of the negative carrier and unscrew the outermost knob one or two turns (this unlocks the adjuster knob). Next, turn the innermost knob until the + target is in sharp focus. Finally, turn the outermost knob clockwise until it stops (this holds the adjustment in place).

Now, in theory, you should be able to pop the negative carrier halfway in and focus on the + target instead of focusing on the negative itself -- hope that this helps.

Congrats on the enlarger...

-andrew

Quote Originally Posted by kapro View Post
    Of course I meant condensers, no diffusers. ..

I was experimenting with the focusing target but didn't find any solution. Meopta's negative carrier has something similar on their negative carrier but much simpler. I'm confused by adjusting height level of the target fo Nega 138. It has sense to use it for focusing if it's in the same level as the plane of the negative but I've got no idea how to adjust it. I found couple of questions on this particular problem on the net but no answer. Seems to be a taboo..

Drew Wiley

The film target in the carrier can be fine-tuned, and I sometimes use it
    for approximate focus prior to critical focus with a magnifier. But its main
    application was related to centering alignment on an imbedded metal target on the baseboard itself. Not all 138 platforms had this particular
    detail. These enlargers were made for all kinds of applications including copy work.

Thanks Andrew and Drew, another thing new I'v learned about this enlarger.

Mike

Andrew, Drew, thank you guys. This is how it works on the Meopta's negative carrier without the possibility to adjust the height of the target. I've already bought on Ebay the test negative on Sunday, I'll cut the antinewton glass today, clean the enlarger and looking forward to test it during weekend. I haven't been working with Durst since 1992 (805 and 1200) - I've got two DeVeres 504 with Ilford Multigrade and Varicon condenser heads.

"imbedded metal target on the baseboard itself" - yes, my 138 has this feature

Andrew, Drew, thank you guys. This is how it works on the Meopta's negative carrier without the possibility to adjust the height of the target. I've already bought on Ebay the test negative on Sunday, I'll cut the antinewton glass today, clean the enlarger and looking forward to test it during weekend. I haven't been working with Durst since 1992 (805 and 1200) - I've got two DeVeres 504 with Ilford Multigrade and Varicon condenser heads.

"imbedded metal target on the baseboard itself" - yes, my 138 has this feature