Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please share your darkroom prints from B&W slides

Re: Please share your darkroom prints from B&W slides

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    You could try enlarging onto Harman Direct Positive paper. Not sure that the contract will look like, but it can be flashed.
    I tried that once with 35mm color slide film. The resulting print was super high contrast.

I would have preferred less contrast but I could see some people liking it for certain subjects.

Also, I did not go as far as trying flashing or other techniques to reduce the contrast at the time because I ran out of paper and money .

Drew Wiley

No problem at all. You just generate a lower-contrast internegative from the b&w slide, preferably onto sheet film, and print from that. That way you can print on any paper you wish.

But it would make more sense overall to shoot the scene normally for sake of a printing negative per se. Then you could optionally use the same negative to generate an inter-positive - a slide. That would be a more versatile option than doing reversal processing of the original.

Since you're planning on working in small film sizes at a very modest scale of reproduction, you might want to look into a 105mm Apo Rodagon D (duplicating) enlarging lens. It's designed for such purposes, and will probably do a better job than general-purpose enlarging lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    No problem at all. You just generate a lower-contrast internegative from the b&w slide, preferably onto sheet film, and print from that. That way you can print on any paper you wish.

But it would make more sense overall to shoot the scene normally for sake of a printing negative per se. Then you could optionally use the same negative to generate an inter-positive - a slide. That would be a more versatile option than doing reversal processing of the original.

Since you're planning on working in small film sizes at a very modest scale of reproduction, you might want to look into a 105mm Apo Rodagon D (duplicating) enlarging lens. It's designed for such purposes, and will probably do a better job than general-purpose enlarging lenses.
    Thanks! Interested ideas to think about. I'll report back when I get around to trying some of this. It might be a bit because I have a few camera issues to workout.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is the setup I'm planning on using. I have not used it yet however.

Basically I will enlarge the 35mm slides onto 6x6cm rollfilm. There is not shutter in this camera, so I'll have to use the enlarger timer.

Attachment 244145
    Way back last century, I had to make enlargements from 35mm slides at work and the usual method was to make an interneg by projection (ie. using an enlarger to project the image, not a slide-projector) on 4x5" panchromatic film in a DDS (we used PlusX for all these sorts of tasks), then to print from that neg to get the final result. It always seemed to work adequately, though many people since then have said that making an interneg by contact-printing is the only way to achieve a quality result. I do recall that working from medium-format we would use an 8x10" interneg, so maybe the size of the in-between step, relative to the original, has a bearing on the result.