Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RF cams for Linhof Technika's

RF cams for Linhof Technika's

I live in Stockholm Sweden and have a Technika IV.

I talked to Peter at Linhof in München. From what I understand one of the last Tech IVs made according to the serial number.
    I have recently purchased mine from a German fellow on Ebay. She is LITERALLY in mint condition.

Peter informed me that the absolut best thing to do is to have the particular serial numbered lens you to plan to use camed to the exact camera it is to be used on. As the rangefinder on every camera also has it's own personality...

This is of course your are like me and want ABSOLUT precision.

I just sent my Tech IV along with my Schneider Super Angulon 5,6/72 XL, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 4,5/90, Rodenstock Sinaron-S 5,6/210
    and Linhof Symmar 5,6/180. Linhof will first do a total CLA of the camera since it is after all over 40 years old. They will then make sure the rangefinder is as it should be to then cam the lenses. They will also make and install focusing scales for each lens and install and adjust the focusing stops.

They estimate I will have all back within 3 weeks.

They are about 20 dollars more expensive per lens than Marflex. I figure with insured shipping and customs to and from the US it would be in the long run a little cheaper and quicker to do all within the EU.

Has anyone else gone directly through Linhof? If so what are your impressions?
    Teddan

Yes Marflex has moved and does Linhof and Wista service at his new address. All other products that we distribute should be sent directly to us.

Krikor is in NJ not NY.

LINHOF AND WISTA MARFLEX SERVICE 117 ANCHORAGE RD. HAVELOCK, NC 28532 (252 652-4401) MARFLEX@AOL.COM
    ALL OTHER PRODUCTS
    HP MARKETING CORP. 16 CHAPIN RD PO BOX 715 PINE BROOK, NJ 07058 (800) 735-4373 FAX (800) 282-9010

Thanks for the good information again, Bob.

Tip: Click the Text radio button below the message to format it right.

LINHOF AND WISTA MARFLEX SERVICE

117 ANCHORAGE RD.

HAVELOCK, NC 28532

(252 652-4401)

MARFLEX@AOL.COM

ALL OTHER PRODUCTS

HP MARKETING CORP.

16 CHAPIN RD PO BOX 715

PINE BROOK, NJ 07058

(800) 735-4373 FAX (800) 282-9010

I had asked Bob Salomon to post the contact info for Marflex and clarify the Marflex/Linhof relationship. There is so much hearsay these days, and it helps to hear from the official importer (HP Marketing). Thank you, Bob. And sorry if I had added any confusion/hearsay re. Krikor in NYC. :-)

Now a trivia question: Did the name Marflex come from Martin's name or Krikor's (Maralian ?)

:-)

Cheers,

"Did the name Marflex come from Martin's name or Krikor's (Maralian ?"

Martin Arndt was the National Service Manager for Rollei of America first in NJ and later in Denver (after Rollei bought Honeywell Photographic). When Rollei closed their service stations Martin bought the parts inventory and opened up his own repair service.

Mar is from Martin and flex is from Rolleiflex. Hence Marflex.

Re: RF cams for Linhof Technika's

I just got my Tech V back from Martin, and had the same experience as Richard Boulware--the results exceed all expectations.

The thing that finally made me send it in was the front tilt lock breaking off, but he found things that needed repair that I hadn't noticed, and even though they functioned okay before, they're perfect now. For instance, part of the dovetail that connects the front standard to the rail was chipped off. The standard still worked and was properly aligned, but occasionally it would slip off the rail when I moved it from the body to the camera bed, and now that can't happen.

I've got scales for all my lenses in the same units (before about half were in feet and half were in meters). He cammed my 75/4.5 Grandagon-N and it looks like he recalibrated my other other cams, including one for an old 360/5.5 Tele-Xenar that I told him wasn't worth dealing with, because it's not such a great lens, but he did it anyway and I don't think he charged extra for it. He also rearranged my infinity stops and shimmed the lenses so that now the 75 and 135 use the same pair of stops, the 90 and 150 do as well as they did before (both the 75 and 90 are used with the rail in the recessed position), the 210 stops are at the end of the rail, and he set the 360 stops in the middle of the rail to be used with the rail in the extended position (+1), so they don't interfere with the stops for the 210. Most importantly, they're all really at the infinity position, and the stops, rangefinder, and groundglass are all in agreement.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 18-Oct-2006 at 20:22.

i just hope these guys are still around by the time I can afford to get a proper Linhof

Please tell me they're still active.

I finally got a Linhof and a few lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by bartf View Post
    Please tell me they're still active.

I finally got a Linhof and a few lenses.
    Of course Marflex is still active. At least they were on Thursday when they last called me.

Fwiw, when I had a Tech, Krikor did a fantastic job with refitting it and the camming was perfect. You get what you pay for. A real class act.