Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PMK Pyro in the washroom?

PMK Pyro in the washroom?

If I believed every piece of literature I read I would never leave the house and would stay in a padded room with a glucose IV. There is not a single credible source that has implicated pyro in parkinsons. Wear gloves and enjoy photographing.

David - my comment really wasn't directed to you, but what your no doubt genuine question may elicit form the usual supects on here - without your realising it... :-)

If I recall from the many debates on here in the past - there have never been any studies on the long term effects of pyro developers and the parkinsons link is basically anecdotal. The gist being it's about as dangerous as several of the other chemicals we commonly use in the darkroom and you should practice certain levels of safety - but it's not like we are mixing anthrax or ebola virus (that should get Echelon going... can you do "no echelon/NSA" - like you can "no archive" ...) - though it's gone around so many times, I may well be mistaken
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Interesting points made. Of course just about everything is toxic at some level, but working with and disposing of photographic chemicals, I think does require greater caution than more begnign materials. To what extent photographic chemicals present bodily and enviremental dangers is something to be concerned about. Advice advocating one postion over another is to be suspect because there are agendas that we all have, pro or con.

If you're a pyro fan you have an interest in propagating the "Word."

If you're not a pyro fan for any reason, toxicity is just another reason to condemn the 'vile' stuff.

Like most arguements, both the pros and cons can be supported with logical arguement but it comes down to this: we always seem to bet on what "feels" right. IMHO you should do just that. If pyro is what you want to use, take common sense precautions, use and enjoy it. OTOH If you're worried about using it, then don't---spend your energy on printing instead of stressing over the likelyhood of poisoning yourself. My 2-cents.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Old School Wayne

There are many facets to toxicity and whether it is safe to pour down the sink, each reply here only gives you a tiny fraction of an answer. There is concentration, there is LD50, there is carcinogenesis, there is transmission via skin, air, ingestion, subcutaneous, potential to cause irritation and sensitivity, are you on municipal sewer, a failing septic system, or dumping your waste in the backyard etc etc etc. To get a truly informed answer you'll have to do some homework, starting with reading and understanding MSDS and their limitations.

Sounds like the worrying alone could be more harmful than the chemical!