Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Depth of Field, Depth of Focus, and Film Flatness

Depth of Field, Depth of Focus, and Film Flatness

On a camera to camera basis, it is surprising that the depth of film plane on the ground glass can be incorrect, inconsistent from corner to corner or both. I am a machinist and do a simple measurement with a depth guage to determine if the film plane of the ground glass is correct. All the other stuff is great, but if the film plane of the holder and the ground glass are not the same you are dead in the water..Evan Clarke

I am gong to take issue with Bill's post above.

I never made any statement about"anal photographers"

I did know about depth of focus, I said so in the suspended thread. I just questioned its day to day relevence. If you disagree fine.

Applying numbers to Cof C does not give a magical answer because the required size for a Cof C depnds on many variables. There are numbers considered acceptable but in a visual world they are not absolute.

Bill's post seems particularly directed at me and seems like an attempt to start a fight. He could have made his points, and they are his opinion and he is welcome to them, without going on and on about me. Despite what he says the required size of the CofC will vary depending on the circumstances (how much the image is enlarged, how closely it is looked at, etc, etc,).

Bill also questions the poll I took amoung working photographers. Since he was not sitting next to me whern I made the calls I am curious why he brought this up.

steve simmons

Henry, your comments are well articulated.. but may lack relavence for most (many?) of us here. Would I be going out on a limb by suggesting that the majority of people posting here are not professionals?
    In other words, most people here are their own customers, and probably have no idea how large they may want to enlarge their negative. Many of us want, as far as quality is concerned, to have the best that is practically possible. To those of us shimming plate holders to work with film so we don't have to buy a 500$ film holder, depth of focus is important.

Interesting series of threads on a subject that I knew virtually nothing about. I learned allot. Having said that.... will I do anything different than I have been doing since 1970?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

"we must ultimately arrive at some generalizations to guide us in the field"

Whoever said that... THANKS! I'm waiting, too.

I'm becoming convinced that I've wasted 15 years messing around in LF because I simply might not be smart enough to understand how to take a decent picture with one of these cameras. Maybe I should get on my knees and thank God that I actually like the images I take with a soft focus lens and Graphic Roll Film Holders. ;-) Is there any hope for people like me?

I'm curious. What's a fix for a Graphic Roll Film Holder?

Here I go expressing my ignorance, but I use these and haven't noticed that much of a problem. In fact recently, someone who does only contact printing mistook one of my images as a contact print. It was and 8x10 from a 6x7 taken with a Graphic Roll Film Holder. (By the way, that's anecdotal and not data.)

"What's a fix for a Graphic Roll Film Holder?"

It doesn't sound like you have much of a problem! Last year I had mine repaired by Fred Lustig (the return spring on the thumb winder broke). He seems to have done a really good repair/cleaning job. I doubt if he did any film plane or film flattness adjustments, however. He did seem to have replaced one of the film rollers for some reason. I never noticed a problem. I haven't used it yet (it's been a tough year) so I can't offer either test or anecdotal to make any further comment.

Oh... my apologies for anyone who is offended by the discussion of 120 film holders on the LF forum.

Eric Biggerstaff

Being the Non- Technical person I am, I was following this thread (sort of) until I got to Bill's post which left me completly confused.

I give up, I think I will never understand all of this.

But then, I was happily making pictures for years not knowing this so I guess I am no worse off. I am confortable with my results, so I guess I can leave the math to others.

It is a nice day in Devner, I think I will skip out of work and go make a photograph.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

Being the Non- Technical person I am, I was following this thread (sort of) until I got to Bill's post which left me completely confused( but it was an interesting read for sure).

I give up, I think I will never understand all of this.

But then, I was happily making pictures for years not knowing this so I guess I am no worse off. I am confortable with my results, so I guess I can leave the math to others.

It is a nice day in Devner, I think I will skip out of work and go make a photograph.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Go for it Eric... make two photographs while you're at it.

Go for it Eric... make two photographs while you're at it.

;-)

;-)