Some great input... I agree with it all... I still shoot both 4x5 and 8x10... I could never give up 4x5. Putting aside, cost of 8x10 film and processing, gear, shooting less shots, weight burden,.... my main reason is that too many shots can not be had with 8x10, but are very successful with 4x5. Two main reasons,

1) DOF is reduced with the longer fl lenses required to get the same view on the gg. If diffraction was not an issue, this would not be the case... but sometimes diffraction on 8x10 (to acheive the same DOF as the 4x5 shot) makes for a less sharp chrome than a 4x5 enlargment to 8x10. If diffraction was not an issue, I would shoot even much larger formats! (16x20)

2) Lens tilt is sometimes eliminated in 8x10 unless you happen to have some of the monster image circle lenses and do not tilt much. I have encountered many 8x10 shots that needed 20 deg. tilt, but the lens runs out of image circle before you get to 20 deg. Not the case with 4x5, assuming you use large image circle lenses. The tighter image circle also limits your movements vs. 4x5, this also makes some of my 8x10 shots not feasable, but very feasable on 4x5.

So you may want to consider both formats, or simply use a system that is interchangeable. However, these interchangeble systems are rarely field friendly. One other tid bit that may interest you... the resolution fall off on most lenses gets very severe going towards the edges.... utilizing movments will surely get this poor resolution area on the film... not true with 4x5... once again assuming you have large image circle lenses.

But when all is said and done... looking at 8x10 chromes shot with my super symar XL 150mm.... well nothing I have ever seen can beat it! Even though I can only use it selectively, it still is the best thing out their. But translating that beauty to print is a whole different story and a different thread......