Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Contemporary Female Vision of the Landscape

Re: A Contemporary Female Vision of the Landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Wactor View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned Sally Mann. She does primarily landscape these days.

www.craigwphoto.com
    Take a look at the first message, the one that started the thread.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I could type paragraphs here on the pressure women photographers often encounter to conform to 'female' subject matter (and the pressure can come from other women -- not just men). But, still, there are quite a few of us who are landscape photographers (or at least photographers who include landscapes in our work.) Paula Chamlee should make every list of great contemporary landscape photographers.

I've decided that women photographers may just need to learn to toot their own horns. We may think that raising our hand is bragging (which every woman knows is in very bad form). Not so. Just sharing. Toot!

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Cont...PaperPart6.htm

Photography in general actually has been a field that historically has been more open to women than most. At a time when the only two occupations open to an educated woman were nursing and teaching, there were quite a few successful, even well-known, female photographers. Which isn't to say that no female photographer ever encountered a problem because of being female or that photography was heavily populated with women. Just that photography in general was a field more open and accepting of women than most others in the 19th century and well into the 20th century.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by bellavista2 View Post
    Hi Eric
    I was thinking the same thing...'"Why are there so few Women Landscape Photographers?" It seems like a male field only....I am a women landscape photographer my photographic label is Bellavista2...'Italian for Beautiful View", I can be found at Rebubble. Ihave been searching forever it seems to find a women landscape photographer who is serious. I keep finding women who post their family photos, fluffy teddies and flowers in the landscape section! Frustrating!!!;=]
    My mother is no longer practicing but was quite active in the landscape as well as her figure studies. I have quite a collection of some seriously well done prints from the 60's.

Her main emphasis was more on figure studies and a touch of glam portraiture.

In the next month if I get time, I will post some of her images.

Eric Biggerstaff

It is always fun to see an old thread come back to life!

Thanks Bellavista2!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I could type paragraphs here on the pressure women photographers often encounter to conform to 'female' subject matter (and the pressure can come from other women -- not just men). But, still, there are quite a few of us who are landscape photographers (or at least photographers who include landscapes in our work.) Paula Chamlee should make every list of great contemporary landscape photographers.

I've decided that women photographers may just need to learn to toot their own horns. We may think that raising our hand is bragging (which every woman knows is in very bad form). Not so. Just sharing. Toot!

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Cont...PaperPart6.htm
    What is considered 'female' subject matter? Flowers?

I agree with Denise here. I am not very good at 'promoting' myself/my photography.