Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More 8x10 portraits from my "First 20" series

More 8x10 portraits from my "First 20" series

Here is another picture from my "First 20" series detailing the experience of making my first 20 photos with an 8x10 camera. Two sheets of film allowed per photo and whatever result I get I'm showing it. This entry gets me to number eight of twenty.

To see and read more click here.
    Scroll down for the latest entries.

Comments encouraged.
    Does anyone else have anything to show?

What virtue does LF lend to these pictures?

"What virtue does LF lend to these pictures?"

What virtue does large format lend to ANY picture? Quality? Vibrance? This is a nice portrait. Sure, it could have been taken with any camera. Then again, so could have Moonrise over Hernandez. Neither image would have been quite the same.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Cool idea documenting your first twenty! I think only six of my 'first twenty' panned out between forgetting to close the shutter after focusing, pulling the wrong dark slide, loading the film wrong or forgetting the cable release at home(or any of a dozen other errors on my part)

I thought your "tripod wobble" shot was taken with one of those bokeh lenses Jim Galli is so fond of ;-)

Heres a question for You. The 'magic' of contact prints never really quite 'translates' into digital on my monitor, so what is Your impression of 'real' 8x10 contacts? I see your subjects looking as though they will start speaking to me---is this 'effect' any more powerful when you look at the original prints?

I think that might be the 'virtue' jj probably missed.

I can't wait to see more---congrats on your move to 8x10!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Usually in real life, you only have so much time to examine a scene or a person for so long before darkness falls, your tour bus moves off, or the subject itself moves. You only have so much time to drink it in. In addition, your eyes can only resolve so much detail.

In large format, the film resolves and enlarges at a higher resolution than your eyes can, and freezes a moment in time, allowing you to take your time and drink in every possible detail of the image that you could ever want. Everything, is both crystal clear and frozen in silver for aeons (unless you didnt use archival materials of course). It's the timelessness and definition of the large format image that gives it appeal.

On the other hand, if you like seeing pores, LF is great for that

Cheers

"What virtue does LF lend to these pictures?"

jj,

if one understands the relationship between local contrast, macro contrast, and magnification, one need not ask such questions. A very blunt answer to your question might be; "it allows them to be made".

Jay

if one understands the relationship between local contrast, macro contrast, and magnification, one need not ask such questions

Okay, then the question is "why this subject", "why that light", and finally "Why bother?"

Henry, it is indeed a great portrait. I'm sure you know better not to be bothered by some (virtually) stupid comments.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Jim Ewins

Henry is to congratulated on his first attempts. jj's attitude problem gets tiresome. Jim

Hey Henry, dont you just love the contact prints?......Very nice little project, loved the pic of the pooch... :-)