Hello! I would appreciate suggestions for resources on learning to scan LF negatives. Currently, I am residing overseas where English is not the primary language, so a local course is not an option.

About 1 1/2 years agom, I purchased a used Microtek ScanMaker 5900, and then I purchased Adobe Elements 2 with "The Hidden Power of PhotoShop Elements 2" added on to give additional flexibility, such as curves, etc. The auto levels, contrast, and color controls usually yield adequate to good results for me at present. I just finished Adams "The Print" and it is apparent that a "fine print" is obviously much better than an adequate print, and better/different than a good print. I'd like to use the tools I have to learn on, and to decide what I need, before purchasing a new scanner.

1) The ScanMaker has a transparency adapter, but no tranny - the transparencies are placed on the glass within a plastic guide frame to keep it on the appropriate location on the glass. Any suggestions about resources that describe how to make scans to the best ability that the scanner can deliver and to test the scanner to ensure that mechanically it is working to its best ability?

2) ScanMaker Suite is an easy to use program, requiring me to input the photographic medium, color mode, and desired resolution. Would a third party software improve the scans the scanner can produce?

Thank you and best regards.

Mike