Some of you might remember helping me out with a question regarding several field cameras I was considering. Well, I finally did it. Midwest Photo had a used Walker Titan SF 4x5 for sale, along with the bag bellows, at a very good price. I called Jim, and a few days later, the camera arrived at my humble abode.

Before I talk about the camera, let me say some nice things about a couple of people I have been in contact with regarding this camera lately. After the camera arrived, I had a question and e-mailed Jim at MPEX. He contacted Ted Bromwell, who gave him the answer, and Jim responded to me within a few hours. I had some more questions, so I decided to go to the source: Mike Walker. Despite the fact that this was a used camera, and did not add to his sales, Mike answered every question (at 11:30 p.m. his time), and then some. In addition to answering my questions, Mike offered to give my camera a cleaning and check-up free of charge (other than the shipping cost). He also offered to supply a GG protector at very little cost, and a Fresnel without charge for the installation. All this for a camera that was already sold, and a customer that made no extra money for him. Jim has always performed honest and straightforward answers to my questions and supplied outstanding equipment to me at reasonable prices. Mike Walker’s offer is also an example of the kind of customer service that is not easily found anymore.

Regarding the Titan SF, it is a really nice camera. The fit and finish is superb. The parts fit together perfectly. It is quite rigid, even when racked out all the way to accommodate my 450mm Fujinon C. The camera is equally comfortable with my 90mm lens. The camera is also quite good looking, in a utilitarian, industrial design sort of way. The hardware is stainless steel. I have been thinking about a field camera for a long time. With just a few days to play with it so far, it looks like this camera is everything I could have asked for: Attractive, durable, rigid, with plenty of extension, and lots of movements. I intend to write a complete review once I have more experience with the camera

In the meantime, thanks to those on the forum who gave me advice a while back, and thanks to Jim and Mike for helping to make the LF world a better place.

And now, since the semester is over, and all my grades are turned in, I plan to make a few photos before the start of spring semester. If I am lucky, there might even be enough time to develop them!