Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ok, down to two...150 or 210 ?

Ok, down to two...150 or 210 ?

Actually, my first lens was also a 180mm. At first I hated it for lacking any punch, being boring. It took a few years for me to learn what an excellent and useful tool it is. I had to grow in experience before being able to take a 'normal' shot, I guess. Buyer beware: your needs will change over time, so to a certain extent it is a crap-shoot whether your first lens turns out to be a long-term keeper.

Ok, down to two...150 or 210 ?

210mm or so has always been the recommended first lens for students starting out with 4x5. It works well in the studio, and has lots of coverage so you can use movements, without it being an expensive wide angle lens. Any decent 210mm should give excellent image quality, as it's not a difficult design. IMO, once you venture out in the field, there are too many times when it's too long. You'll quickly want something shorter, and with good coverage, 150mm or less, maybe a lot less. IMO, you should have a 210mm, but whether you start with that focal length is determined by what you like to shoot.