Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first viewcam...Now for the lens

My first viewcam...Now for the lens

Maybe I should have mentioned that my email address is ernestpurdum@aol.com.

"Secondly, it is GREAT to come to a place where film is alive and well (Getting tired of seeing my old 35mm films dissapear from the shelves)."

Steve... the film situation in large format is no better than other formats... My favorite film has been gone for over 20 years, and I don't want to think about how many times I have been forced to begin using a new paper.

But welcome to LF. The only way to keep materials alive is to find more customers.

Since you already have lensboards, what size shutter will they accept? SK Grimes website has dimensions (I'm guessing either "0" or "1" copal/prontor) in which case an older american lens probably will be a hassle to mount unless it is already fitted to a copal or similar size shutter. Too bad because there is a lot of great vintage glass. If you do have a lensboard drilled to take a flashmatic for example, just get a 203mm F7/7 Ektar to pop in---IMHO an all time classic.

IMHO anything from 135 to 210mm will look "normal" on a 4x5 so don't feel you have to limit yourself to a 150mm. Maybe its my imagination but there seem to be more 210mms on the used market than anything except maybe 127mms which IMHO wouldn't give you the coverage you'd expect on a monorail camera. Of the 210s just about anything from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikor or Caltar should be a safe bet if its in good condition in a working shutter. A convertible symmar will give you an extra focal length, so theres more bang for your buck but I wouldn't pass up a 210 G Claron either.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The two lens boards I have are copal #0, and #3. I suppose that I'll be in the market for a #1 at least.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve,

You're in luck! A 150mm G Claron comes in a #0 and is a fine lens to consider.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Steve

Just to muddy the waters a little, I used a Sinar years ago (a Norma as the P series were not then available) and it was/is a hefty brute not exactly suitable for yomping across the countryside – especially when you add a few lenses, several DDS, filters etc. Perhaps a body-building course first...? :-)

Richard

I'll just make it part of my work-out routine. Weight isn't too bad whilst on a mountain bike anyway =)