Thread: Ben Lifson essays

Ben Lifson essays

somoen pointed me to an interesting series of essays by Ben Lifson online:

http://www.rawworkflow.com/making_pictures/index.html

You really need to start at the beginning (oh and have a fast conncetion...)

Also some intersting things on detail and digital
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ben Lifson essays

Interesting guy. He appeared on photo.net briefly and said some very intelligent things, but he didn't quite get photo.net, and photo.net didn't quite get him, which was unfortunate--

http://photo.net/shared/community-member-all?proc_name=bboard&user_id=416365

Ben Lifson essays

7es, Ben used to on the Streetphoto list for quite a while - I used to enjoy our discussions - he can certainly be a bit long winded, but I always took some new gem away from them at the end.

And he has certainly been around the block - he knows his stuff, has worked first hand on a lot of great collections of work (Strand, Kertesz, Atget, Winogrand - to name a few) and has known a good few of the "greats" as well. You might not always agree with what he says, but ther e is a real depth of knowledge there.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ben Lifson essays

I took a number of photo-history seminars with Ben Lifson at Bard College in the 1980s. David's description of him not quite getting "photo.net, and photo.net didn't quite get him" is a accurate depiction of his relationship to students and other faculty members. Unfortunate. However, he is a brilliant man and is one of the very few photo-historians/critics who has been able to really make me think. Most just make me sleep.

Ben Lifson essays

Composition is a compelling view (no pun), and I so glad he recognized Winogrand.

Above is an interesting illustration upon a Bresson photo.