Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5: exposing image directly onto paper?

4x5: exposing image directly onto paper?

Probably a crazy idea, but I thought it might be fun to try; I know the shutter could need to be open for hours.

I just wondered if there's a printing paper fast enough to get a worthwhile result..

This is not uncommon. I'd expect paper to be about 8 ASA +/-. Not all that slow! You'll end up with a paper negative to contact print. I've done it, but I don't know why anyone really wants to. Use film. It's more practical.

No reason why you can't do that. Exposures would be long, but not hours (well maybe at night.)

There are a few people who use 8x10 Cibachrome material directly in camera for color work.

Thanks Caroline, Alan. Think I'll file that idea under 'More Trouble Than it's Worth' !

David,

I've also thought about trying what you're proposing/asking about... people have used paper in place of film in their pinhole cameras for a long time.

ASA 8 sounds familiar as a starting point...

Do a search here and on Photo.net for "pinhole" and there should be a few threads that will pop up.

What have you got to lose but a bit of time and a few sheets of paper? It might be a fun experiment to do!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Paper is closer to 1 or 2 for ASA. Exposure should be 1/2 to 1 second @ f/16 in sunlight, which is very manageable. Use some that doesn't have "watermark" printing on the back, or that may show up faintly if you contact print. Try grade 2. Better yet, Panalure, if you can find it; it's panchromatic, not blue sensitive, so you'll get more natural tonal renditions, though you can't use a safelight.

I tried it a few times for kicks. Not much to it, expose for 5-8 ISO and develop. In the end I was underwhelmed. Give it a try and you'll probably find the same.

Interesting responses. Thanks. Funny how fascinating this phenomenon of photosensitivity is. You could paint an emulsion on almost anything and stick it in a camera or under a negative, and never get bored!

I use the Cibachrome directly, you need to use an 85 B filter in daylight. I use ASA 3 but that's allowing for the filter. Some great results, although some colors are a little strange. Still, that's true for any film.

Alan

There are a few people who use 8x10 Cibachrome material directly in camera for color work.

Do you (or anyone here) know of any examples available to view on the 'net?

Steve

Landscapes of Wales