Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5: exposing image directly onto paper?

4x5: exposing image directly onto paper?

I tried this years ago and remember using about ASA 2 as a starting point. Its fun, give it a try!

The thing about Ilfochrome direct in camera is that the image is reversed L-to-R, since you are looking at the emulsion, not through the base. Just like a daguerreotype in that respect.

Scott Davis

I'm interested in the ilfochrome-as-color-'film' since I'm doing plans now for a 12x20 portrait camera and it would be nice to have a color option in that format. Is there any documentation on this available on the net? Has anyone tried exposing it using 5500k strobes?

David, It`s not more trouble than it`s worth. Paper negs can produce prints that are beautiful in thier own right...

Lot's of people doing pinhole photography go the paper neg route, as well as Ciba/Ilfo direct postive route. check out http://www.pinholeresource.com/ to see some images.

Steve Lewis,

What a cool website! I thought your color work on your site was really terriffic!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

David,

Paper negs are fun. Yup - ASA 5 is good. I use single weight paper & make a contact print. Sometimes the negative print is good as a final print. Rocks work well for this. You can enlarge them, but gets kinda fuzzy. Be sure there is no watermark or brand name printing on the back or your prints will show the type.

BTW - Steve - Outstanding color work. Some of the best I've seen. Love the boat at sunset. Very strong image.

Steve, yeah, I guess I *was* being a bit 'negative' there. I didn't anticipate all the positive comments that followed.

Next question(s): how do you use a paper negative? Doesn't the paper's opacity cause a blurred image?

David: Funny how fascinating this phenomenon of photosensitivity is. You could paint an emulsion on almost anything and stick it in a camera or under a negative, and never get bored!

There are commercially available emulsions just for that purpose. See: http://www.rockaloid.com/products.html. I have never seen it used nor have I tried it myself, but I've been tempted since I first saw it on the web. I'll have to try it some day, sounds like a good bad-weather project...

On the other note: If you decide to try the paper negative, you can always scan it and reverse it, both neg-pos and left-right. Make sure to scan it at much higher than the final print resolution, though, and then downsize it immediatly after scanning. That will eliminate most paper artifacts, but will require some judicious capture usm.

Have fun either way.

Oh, and btw, Steve - I like your portfolios too, especially panoramas.

Regards,