Interesting question! I too admire the 'painted' look of the edges of the platinum/palladium process - that is, the hand-brushed overage. Thinking about how one might achieve the same effect with standard papers, how about painting the edges with some opaque but water-soluable paint; perhaps tempra paint. The paint could shield the edges of the paper from being exposed, but leave a ragged, brushed edge (in reverse). The water-soluable paint could then be washed away from the print, probably before the developer bath so as not to contaminate it. I don't have any idea if this would work, or the problems that would be encountered. Just a thought. I'd like to hear from someone who would be willing to try this technique, since I don't have the capability to print anymore. I would think this technique would work equally well for color or B&W (if it works at all!).

Of course, another technique for a soft, ragged edge can be obtained by stuffing cotton or some gauzy material around the edge of the printing frame. You could also lay some frayed burlap material under the frame extending into the print area to get a 'ragged' edge. I've acually done this one with B&W, and while it is a bit of a pain, it works well. These techniques are another form of vinetting (sp?).