Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with 8x10 within the U.S.

Re: Flying with 8x10 within the U.S.

Oops, nevermind, I see on another thread that it is an EMS. I'll check them out.

You get one carry on and a personal item. I make my camera the personal item. In a medium sized backpack goes 4 film holders , two lens and assorted other things. I carry the camera in my hand (I strap it to the outside of the pack if I need to travel far), and seperate it out at security check points like it was a laptop.

The tripod and extra filmholders (if needed) go in checked baggage.

If my checked baggage or luggage is delayed or lost, I can always buy or have another tripod shipped to me, but the rest of my kit (which much harder to replace time and money wise) carries on with me.
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 6-Jul-2006 at 12:09.

Mark,

You gave a link to American Airlines policy. Each airline has it's own rules. But this is from the AA link.

"Audio/Visual Equipment
    Camera, film, lighting, and sound equipment (up to a maximum of 115 in/292 cm and 100 lbs/45 kgs) will be charged an excess rate of $50.00 per piece when tendered by representatives of network or local television broadcasting companies, commercial film-making companies, the federal government, Department of Defense or the American Society of Media Photographers. "

If you can qualify for ASMP you can save quite a bit of money if you go over the weight or case limits.

I have a large hard plastic suitcase that I bought for $5 at a thrift store. I line it with a partially-inflated therma-rest matress, roll the camera and film holders in a couple of sweaters, pack the rest of my clothes in there with the tripod head, and check it all through. I put a note inside the suitcase telling the TSA people what it all is, and asking them please to repack it carefully. I also wrote in huge painted letters on the side of the suitcase "HANDLE GENTLY PLEASE!!" and so far that has all worked pretty well. Then the lenses and light meter get wrapped in shirts and go with me on the plane in a small knapsack, and the film gets FedExed to the destination. My tripod gets checked through also, without the head.

And this is right about when working with a Holga starts sounding pretty attactive...

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com