Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question about my website

question about my website

My monitor has been profiled with a spyder and they look great.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

On my profiled monitor the images look great too.

I agree that the flash effects (the way the pics load, etc.) are annoying ... but i have less patience for this stuff than a lot of people. Other that that the site looks elegant.

As a user, the thing which I like best about surfing and shopping, is that I can jump around at my own whim.

In this regard, I find Macromedia Flash annoying, because it takes control away from the user, and often introduces delays.

Once I sense that the web site is trying to impose an agenda of its own, I usually leave.

Perhaps web designers, like architects, are paid commensurate with the complexity of the project - and are thus incented towards bells and whistles.

Give me straight HTML any day.

my 2 cents about Flash.. Flash is more appropriate for commercial use and it's over abused.. I think for a photographer site, it's best not having Flash or any kind of animation, pop-up window to show larger image is nice...

Include a grey (gray) scale so that people can calibrate their monitors. Most people don't ever tune their screens.

They look fine on my LCD monitor.

I'm back from the gym now, and here's where I'm tentatively leaning... jury's still out. I think I will dump the flash thing, keep the pop up window ( I like that), not sure about titles ( mine are pretty simple anyway), and the loading issue is new. It wasn't happening when I previewed the site. There was just a pleasant dissolve in. Hmm.
    And thanks for saying you liked my pictures. Much appreciated.

Nothing wrong with Flash as a plug in, it gets used alot more than most people think, its just how you are using it here that is the trouble, I think. The wipe with the white flash between images is very distracting. You can have any kind of transition, or none at all if you want. There are many portfolio sites that use Flash to great advantage. The images look good to me BTW.

While we're on the subject, perhaps people would like to share the URL's of some similar sites, which they regard as particularly tasteful and effective.

Here is one where I like the colors and overall layout. While it doesn't appear to use Flash, it has some JavaScript for giving that "slide-show" look which I personally find annoying. (I have no affiliation with the photographer in question: she is a friend of a friend).

I thought Flash was the slideshow on the home page, but it sounds like it is the transition from picture to picture in the portfolios. Is that accurate? I want to be using the correct language so I can understand the changes you are suggesting.

Flash refers to the Macromedia Flash Player, a way of delivering "rich content" embedded in a web page. It is a programming environment unto itself.

For a good example of how much can be done with Flash, see www.comcast.net. As you can see, it is highly interactive and allows all kinds of features. However, you need a Flash programmer to write your applications.