Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Developers... Recommendations ?

Paper Developers... Recommendations ?

Having previously used only Dektol since the 1960's, my recent exploration of Pt/Pd opened my eyes to the world of mix-it-yourself. I now marvel at the available breadth of options, and depth of savings.

Looking at Jacks's Photographic and Chemistry Site, one finds a large selection of formulas for paper developers.

... Any recommendations ?

I really like ansco 130. It's warmish out of the gate but if you like a cooler tone, you can use less pot. bromide and add some benzotriazole. I use half the recommended bromide and add a few drops of a 3% bzt solution to the working mix. It 's quite a bit 'cleaner' looking than dektol, and I don't get the green cast with forte papers either. It's a little pricier than some because of the glycin but I think it's worth it. Unblinkingeye.com has the formula of Jack's doesn't.

Depending on the paper you use, you might like an amidol developer. I like Michael A. Smith's amidol, both in the version for Azo and the version for enlarging papers with J&C/Adox Exposition Graded/Efke Emaks/Cachet Expo RF/Maco Expo RF (all different brands of the same paper). For papers that are amenable to amidol, you'll get very rich blacks and the additional control of water bath development, which works particularly well with amidol. I've found that some papers, like Ilford MGIV FB and RC don't particularly benefit from amidol.

According to Anchell, older style, "soft emulsion" papers do better with amidol and will show the differences between different developer formulas better than more modern style papers.

You can find the formulas here-- www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Formulas.html.

Ken- You might want to tell what paper(s) you usually use. As David said in a more specific example, a developer that has its own special look on some papers will look pretty average on other papers.

Amidol produces the most beautiful prints of all, but it has problems (almost infinite shelf life, but degrades instantly when mixed for use, and other problens). Next best is ANSCO 130. It lasts forever even when mixed and produces beautiful slightly warm prints. I think that it's more a matter of matching paper and developer, as many of the best master printers just use Dektol and Selectol-Soft.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Mark - You're right !

Perhaps I should ask: What is the best enlarger paper/developer combination to give slightly warm-toned images ? I am just getting back into Silver printing, and the last time I printed this way, I used papers like Agfa Brovira and DuPont Varigam, toned in Selenium.

That was then, and this is now. The color scheme I now prefer, is represented by this image, the result of a set of quadtone "curves" that I created in Photoshop.

Ken- it seems you like a fairly warm-toned image, unless my monitor is lying to me again, (it does that...) From long ago (25 years?) I remember Agfa 120 was a very nice warm toned developer; cheap and simple to put together, but sometimes slow to dissolve, (keep the temperature up for a while and keep stirring.) Nice warm tones on Brovira, too warm for my taste on Portriga-Rapid, but some loved it. (Don't know if P-R is still available.) Agfa 120 was one of the "classic" formulas, especially for mix-it-yourself types, so the formula should be around everywhere... If you're interested and can't find it, ask and I'll track it down in my old notebooks.

Yes - I like warmer tones in the middle range, and more neutral as we approach pure black and white.

I like to get a deep range of tones, but also have a sense of warm radiance and peace pervading the whole thing - like an old pair of slippers.

If Dektol has floated your boat for the past 40 years, give or take, don't dismiss the option of mixing your own D-72. It's simple, cheap, and with one additional ingredient (borax) you can make D-76 as well. Those two have been standards for 70 years for a good reason...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Eric Biggerstaff

My favorite warm tone paper / developer combination is Ilford MGFB Warmtone and Dektol 1+2. I then selenium at 1+10 for 2 mintues. Not real fancy, but I think it is a great combination.

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com