Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHARP short lenses?

SHARP short lenses?

Although a great chunk of glass, the 72XL is SUPER sharp! Might be worth considering too?

SHARP short lenses?

Paul

Unless Jack intends shooting tall buildings in restricted areas, that lens is of no real advantage to the 80mm. I bought a 72XL for a project shooting building facades in downtown Detroit.I never came close to running out of coverage. It is capable of so much movement that images which require that sort of movement tend to look extremely unnatural and unappealing (you will certainly find out very quickly about "ship's prow" effects). It's no sharper than the 80 or 75 and to be honest, the filter ring size creates problems with filters. Once you have the center filter in place, you need huge expensive filters. I sold mine about 6 months ago and have not missed it once! Another issues is that very few cameras can actually accomodate movements to the extremes of the image circle of this lens (although this is not an issue with Jack's VX125 - that camera certainly can).

SHARP short lenses?

Thanks for all the great information and images so far! (And please continue!)

It sounds like I will be okay with any of the good 75's or the 80 XL, so I guess it boils down to whichever I find the best deal on soonest

And yes, the 72 XL is simply too big a beast for my uses -- I actually carry my LF gear on my back and lenses like the 72 XL do not fit into that category very comfortably.

As for the VX 125, yes, it certainly IS an outstanding piece of equipment -- what a dream to use in the field! Fast to set up and zero (extremely so by LF standards), infinity focuses a 55 and a 300 on flat boards with the stock bellows, allows for more than ample movements at all focals, is quite rigid and has quick, easy adjustments. What more could we ask for? Plus all that comes in a 6.5 pound package which my aging back likes -- a lot.

As for resolution of Digital lenses, I hope to test a recently acquired Schneider 90 Digitar next week. I'll be sure to post my findings here.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

SHARP short lenses?

Hi

And in the future fore the short end take the 47 XL because I prefer it over my APO Grandagon 55mm. Because you always can crop but newer extend the image frame.
    I love the 47XL very much it is very sharp and was really a solution in small spaces!

Good luck!

SHARP short lenses?

When i have acquired and used my Schnedier 110XL, it is so horribly sharp. After i have acquired 210mm, i then thought to purchase a wide angle. One day i spot a schneider 65mm f5.6 at 2nd hand shop and then i got it to use. I decide to buy it because my Linhof master does not allow for much shift movement when the lens is housed inside the case and so i don't care of its lack of movement than 72 or 75mm. i don't like 58mm or wider because they will be barely cover 4x5. So far this lens has produced really very astonishingly sharp and nice image for me and the colour tone and texture just like a punch on the head. i ve never used any center filter on it and so far so good with slide film but i use to shoot at f11 or f16. Have a thought on this though it has stopped production anymore.