Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selfconfusion by a future LF photographer

Selfconfusion by a future LF photographer

Matus,

It sounds as if you've done your homework. I don't think you can go wrong starting with a tachihara. They hold their value very well in the US anyway. For a first lens you might want to look at a 150mm or 210mm G-Claron. Add a light berlebach tripod and you'll have a neat kit. Welcome to Large Format!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Matus, I began LF this year and I love it. I now have a very lightweight Toho (1.3 kg). It is about the same weight as the Tachihara. I strongly recommend a lightweight field camera.

I have four lenses but I use two for 85% of my shots.

I have a roll film back but I never use it now. I put about 4 rolls through it to get used to the camera, but once I tried 4x5 there was no going back. My thought was to use it as a back-up when I run out of sheet film, but I never carry it because I go as light as possible. Unless you want a 6x12 back you probably can do without it and put the money toward another lens.

.. Scott ..
    Well, concerning the slowing down you are probably right, although already now when making some trip with my friends I am still the one they are waiting for.. ;-)

.. John ..
    Well, I probably spent more time on the internet searching for the information than reasonable.
    Well, light berlebach tripod means at least 2.2kg, but the prices are fearly low (who would not like to have G 1227). For the beginning it will be probably Mnfrotto190(Bogen 3001 ? - not sure) that my girlfriend is going to buy for her camera (35mm).

.. Ron ..
    Well, the reasons for the roll film back are following - easier (bracketing) and cheaper to start with (actually no really cheaper as the price is a few hundred euro) as the developing of single sheet costs 3 euro here, it also probably techincally easier from the point of view of loading the holders and keeping them clean. But this is based on no-hands-on-experiece opinion.

anyhow I would appreciate to hear from you about yur experience with the roll film back...?
    Matus

Matus, if you wish, send me an email. I will be in Bratislava most of the time from XMas till mid-January.

LF photography is not rocket science. An LF camera is just a box with a lens and film. You do not have to bracket. I only bracket when "I need to", that is I do incident metering that is usually quite exact (+ 5 years of experience). Believe or not, I missed only one shot during the last year. I think I had a Bogen 3001, but it was too small; you do not need an extremely good and light tripod. You need one that is tall enough and that is heavy enough; plus you need a head that allows for easy incremental adjustements that usually being a pan&tilt head (but many people use a ball head). My 35mm gear was heavier than LF. I only carry a single lens (Nikon W 150mm). If I didnt have to carry with me a heavier tripod, I would live a very comfortable life. I only bought a field camera because it is light and easy to set up, but you can do well with just any monorail.

My Wista is the first camera that I bought. Before I had never seen an LF camera. I bought it based on specifications. I was unexperienced at that time, so I bought a camera that can do a 90degree tilt etc. You will never need that. You only need +/-15 degrees, and usually only +/-5 degrees; plus some front rise/fall. That is just to say that almost any camera will be good enough for you.

Do not forget that any format that is smaller than 4x5" means that focusing is more complicated due to the smaller ground glass. 4x5" film is also the easiest to buy.

Matus, I would advise you not to buy the roll film holder at first. Try sheet film and if there is something you feel you are missing buy a used holder later. I will even sell you mine.

Mine is a 6x7. I like that proportion. But, that size negative effectively doubles the focal length of my lenses. My widest lens, 75mm, becomes a 150mm. That, and the hassle of taking the holder off to compose the next shot, are the biggest drawbacks for me.

I think a 6x12 holder would be somewhat useful, If you like that proportion, since your effective focal lengths do not change much. Aside from allowing one to easily carry lots of extra film (which can be accomplished using readyloads) the other stated benefit of a roll film holder is that you can rapidly take a series of shots from the same set-up, such as when the light is quickly changing at sunrise or sunset. But one can switch filmholders just about as fast, so that is not signifigant.

I load my film holders in a daylight bag, since I don't have a darkroom. They are very easy to load, and only once have I had a spec of dust show on a negative, and I am not that careful about dust. Readyloads/quickloads eliminate the dust and filmholder loading problems, but are more expensive.

I shoot b/w so I never bracket, the only shots I have missed are from forgetting to stop down etc. If I was shooting transparencies I would bracket sometimes.

What film are you planning to shoot?

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. I have just completed my LF set-up so all of the questions are fresh in my mind.

Can't second the advice about readyloads/quickloads strongly enough. The expense is SO worth it. To me ... film holders just about double the hassle factor of LF photography ... but then I'm just a 4 x 5 enthusiast. The 8 x 10 bug has never bothered me.

Matus,

I'd suggest keeping your kit as simple as you can. Add a roll film holder later on if you find you really need it. 3 Good used 4x5 film holders are a good start--not a large investment to help you determine your course. Actually if you're shooting B&W its the only way to go as most B&W emulsions aren't available in Quick/Reeady loads. There is something to be said for polaroid film and immediate feedback, but thats an expensive route and I wouldn't recommmend to to someone on a tight budget. Hey, your first 4x5 negs will look so awesum I doubt if you'll settle for roll film afterwords!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

.. Ron ..
    Well, I am thinking of the roll film holder for the future, but definitely I would start with sheets. The price of the roll-film holders (at least those 6x12) is about the price of the camera, so this will wait. I see more and more adds from people having roll-film holders, but not using them too much. I should not be so much worried about the normal film holders (they don't bite after all - dont't they ?!).

I am basicaly panning to use chromes from Fuji , Velvia is first in the queue. I have breafly tried Velvia 50, 100F, 100, Astia 100F, Provia 100F, and For landscapes is the Velvia great. So - well - mostly chromes, but some B&W is also interesting, although I do not have much experiance yet. B&W is attractive also for home developement, but this will also have to wait some time.

.. Scott ..

I am not sure about the quickloads as I have heard so different opinions some pro and some contra. I will probably start with simple holders as 120 euro for 50 Vevia sheets is already a lot of money. And 3 euro per developement per sheet. I have to find better job :-)

.. John ..

Yes, I definitely want to start simple: camera, 1 lens, few holders, darkcloath, lupe, tripod and film SLR as a lightmeter (I do not want to go into disscusion of spotmeter versus light metering with another camera). Did I forget anything?
    Matus

Matus,

I use Tachihara (though only for a year or so) and would recommend it to anyone as a starter LF camera. I suppose there are "better" cameras in terms of movements, build, et cetera, but the overall value/advantages of Tachihara--price, weight, functionality and so forth--would be hard to beat. At least that was my conclusion, and I never regretted it.

No one commented on the compatibility of Tachihara and roll film backs, and I'm curious to know for sure, too. From my rather extensive pre-purchase research, you cannot use a roll film back with Tachihara. (To the forum: Is there a solution to this?) If the roll film option is high-priority, Shen Hao or Wista with the Graflock back (needs a top hat for 300mm and maybe rare used) would be among obvious alternatives.

As to other necessities, you could do without a loupe (or use what you have) and start with a 5-euro black T-shirt for dark cloth. I've found myself using the focusing loupe less and less as I got used to the focusing technique, and a T-shirt is workable under "most" situations. Along with regular photo accessories, I present to your consideration a voice recorder to keep exposure data, a small spirit level (a few dollars at a DIY store, my tripod doesn't have one), and an LED flashlight among other gadgets.

At any event, I hope you enjoy the adventure into LF. BTW, I've been dreaming about hiking the Tatras with LF someday. I hear it's a very beautiful area.

Matus,
    A black t-shirt works fine---in fact two, one inside the other works better. The outside t-shirt can be any color. For a loupe, the cheap agfa types work fine.