Thread: Specific Carrying case for 8x10 Arca-Swiss

Specific Carrying case for 8x10 Arca-Swiss

Not wanting a backpack, and short of just piling everything into a large Lightware or Pelican case, has anyone found a nice shoot-out-of-the-car-or-studio inexpensive (i.e. non-photo) case for their 8x10 Arca-Swiss (or similar thin, light monorail)? Their is plenty in the archives about backpacks and field cameras, but I'd love to hear something specific for the monorail users.

Or am I just wrong and should I buy a KMV to hang with the cool kids?

how about a big cooler with foam inserts?

I have one of these old Arca 8x10s which was in new condition when I bought it. I racked the cue to the rear end of the rail and it's shortest possible draw and then cut the rail there. The camera has an extremely low profile at this point and stows in a Tamrac backpack. The new cameras are made with 2 short pieces coming together in a channel rail, the camera rides on one rail and is then slid into the channel containing the other short rail. I have Arcas in all the formats and my 8x10 rig is one of the most portable, more so than my 4x5 kits. If you like, I can snap a picture this weekend and show you. I think it has any folder beat by a mile...Evan Clarke

Frank:

Having always worked from some sort of conveyance and never more than 100 yards from it, I never used anything but a "case." I carried my Phillips Explorer kit in an Orvis briefcase. I let my Master View rattle around in the back of the SUV; you can’t hurt then unless you drop them. I had a Sinar Alpina that came in a cool flat case. My ULFs just sit in the back of the vehicle under a wrap, strapped to the floor so as not to move. The only difficulty with cases for 8x10 rail cameras is that they are huge if you want to leave them on the rail, ready for action. For transportation, the bellows can be removed and the uprights swung 90 degrees to make them flatter (although longer) and much easier to transport. For example, for the not so svelte camera I just bought from you, I went to a second hand store and purchased a fiberglass American Tourister hard sided suitcase. I stopped by JoAnne’s Fabrics for high density foam (2” layers) on the way home and I’m done for a total of $50. You might try a gun store for a hard sided rifle or shotgun case. If you worry about transport, buy a Toho or Phillips. And by all means buy that KMV. It’s always better to hang with the in crowd… Your photos won't be any better, but you'll be able to laugh most of the day, once you stop shaking your head in disbelief.

Good luck.

mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

How is that Fatif beast? Post some photos!