Jeff: Have you considered giving 4x5 a try before 8x10? Since this is your first attempt at large format, 4x5 will give you a feel for LF a lot easier and cheaper. Even the Poloroid for 4x5 is a lot cheaper. An 8x10 camera is a lot heavier, the film holders are heavier, tripod and lenses a lot heavier. The whole outfit is more cumbersome to set up and can be quite difficult to shoot with without some experience in LF. I certainly don't knock 8x10 and use one myself, but it can be a pain in the old tush to use. Jumping from medium format to 4x5 takes some getting used to, as well a a major shift in the thinking process while shooting. On the plus side, there is little in photography more satisfying than looking through an 8x10 ground glass and watching a scene come together. Few things in photography are as satisfying as an 8x10 contact print with wire sharpness and brilliance that most photographers never get to enjoy. I certainly am not trying to discourage you from using an 8x10, but I sincerely think a little experience in large format would be helpful before tackling one of the monsters to keep you from getting discouraged. Good luck and welcome to your entry into large format. You will not be disappointed. Doug