Thread: Microtek 1800 with 645 film

Microtek 1800 with 645 film

Regarding the Microtek 1800... Isn't it strange that the scanner comes with a film holder for 6X9cm film but not 6x7, 6X6cm or 6x4.5cm film? Can you scan 6X4.5 film without using the glass tray or do you have to tape it down to the glass? Does using the glass tray reduce the quality of the scan?

Do two frames of 6X4.5 fit in the 6X9 holder or are two frames together too big? Thank you.

You can use any 120 film in the roll film holder. There isn't any clamping mechanism as in the 4x5 holder; you just slide roll film under the rails.

Steve

Out of curiousity, what is the length of film you can put in the roll film holder.
    Will I have to trim my film so that only 2 frames of 6x6 could be scanned?
    That's what the holder that came with my 4870 required me to do so I bought Doug Fishers holder, which works great.
    I shoot from 6x6 to 6x12 so this is a bit of a consideration.

Thanks

Mark

You don't have to trim it at all, but the excess will hang out of the scanner.

Steve

Steve,

I think ou are thinking of a different scanner .. the 1800f has a drawer underneath the glass bed. You use this second stage for allyour film scanning and the holders are specifically sized as noted above. If I have missed something let me know please as I would love to have other options for the 1800 since I shoot a good bit of 6x6 and right now sort of jiggle to fit two frames in the 4x5 holder (see below).

Mark ... there is no roll holder that works in the slide-in frame. The rationale for 6x9 (AFAIK) was that the scanneris aimed at LF shooters who shoot more 6x9 than 6x7 or orhter MF flavors. As to whether two 6x4.5 frames will fit in the 6x9 frame, it is worth a try and my guess is,mthat withjudicious trimming they will; I use the 4x5 frame to hold 6x12 and it grips three edges quite well with no scanning problems. Of course, yes, you can tape a strip down to the glass with no or not much loss of quality as the optics are above the glass.

You can use any 120 film in the roll film holder. There isn't any clamping mechanism as in the 4x5 holder; you just slide roll film under the rails.

This is definitely not true with the carriers that came with the 1800f that I own.

The film MUST be cut into strips. The strips cannot be longer than some maximum size - I don't recall but I think it's 6x9.

It is, in other words, a hopelessly useless holder if you do not want to cut individual frames apart.

Perhaps Microtek realized this and started shipping a MF film carrier that does not suck so badly that it rips the sheetrock off the walls of the room it's in?

Well, I tought I'd posted a reply but don't see it. Paul and Ted are right - I had a brain f*rt and was indeed thinking of a different scanner.

Steve

Microtek and other scanner makers provide different slide and transparency holders but not all of them. They try to include what they think are the most popular or most widely used and then for Microtek they provide a 8x10 glass holder for the rest. I would suggest like I have before getting a piece of anti newton ring glass to use in conjunction with the 8x10 glass holder to keep your item totally flat. This will not degrade your image quality. I'll post some pictures that I've scanned with this method if you guys would like. Thanks!

Jeremy