Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GG Protector?

GG Protector?

My Orthopedist & Physical Therapist tell me I can probably be on skis byJanuary :-) so I'm comtemplating taking my 8x10 kit along in a Lowe AWII pack. It stikes me as if a gg protector might be good insurance. Should I make my own or buy one? It seems like it wouldn't be hard or expensive to make one out of baltic birch ply and/ or plexiglas and as soon as I feel up to operating power tools I may do just that. I was wonder what the concensus is among the experts as far as general design and what makes for a good gg protector?

I figure on duplicating the locking ridge on my film holder to keep the ggp in place, with some material rigid enough to prevent bowing and thus stressing the gg in cas of a fall. I'll want to protect both sides of my gg since a 19" Artar will be aboard, riding along in the camera's innards with the lensboard reversed.

I'd be grateful for any ideas, suggestions etc...

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

GG Protector?

I used two pieces of Masonite to make a GG sandwich, with hinges made of left-over nylon strapping from REI, and little Velcro tabs to keep it closed. For your application, a thin layer of foam on both sides would further protect from shock.

GG Protector?

Hi John

I need a couple as well and was thinking of bending a sheet of lexan 1/8" thick and using the back springs to hold it in place. this stuff is almost indestructable and you can bend it by heating with a hair dryer. Never having seen one, I will use trial and error, I guess. Won't be in to it for a couple of weeks.

Richard

GG Protector?

Richard: I was thinking about lexan as well but I thought it might be too flexible. I'll have to check out the 1/8" stuff.

Ralph: How do you cut masonite? I'm also wondering how well it will hold up in moist conditions or if it is moisture resistant (I used to have a clip board made of the stuff---I should have paid closer attention to it) It would certainly be rigid enough.

This sure gives me ideas. Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

GG Protector?

Richard,

At one time I made one like that (there used to be a pic on the Canham site I think of his GG protectors - which are just a piece of lexan/plexi folded in half)

Long piece of plexi the width of a film holder, heat the middle carefully with a paint stripper blower and fold it around the right size of dowel - I made it so the two sides of the open end almost touched - the springiness of the plexi kept it tight in the back then
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

GG Protector?

Hi Tim

That is exactly what I was going to do so it will work

thanks

Richard

GG Protector?

I cut a piece of foamcore to make a plug that fits into the gg cavity and then I slip an extra dark slide between the gg and the camera. A long rubber band stretched diagonally acrss the back keeps the foamcore in place.

GG Protector?

You could sell your current outfit and then order a new Wisner 8x10 with a gg protector. Oh that’s right, you wanted it for next year’s outings… I'm sorry; I couldn't resist.

If you want a ready made solution, there is a fellow on eBay selling a scaled up 8x10 version of the black polystyrene, slide-in 4x5 protector Calumet has sold for years. It protects both sides and is pretty rugged. I paid about $25 including shipping and it is very nice. If you only want to protect 1 side, Dick Phillips uses a single sheet of lexan plastic attached with “buttons” of Velcro in each corner. Very convenient. Good luck.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

GG Protector?

I use Masonite, too - cut with a jig saw. I've used mine for about three years in the hot and humid Florida swamps and marshes with no sign of problems from moisure.

juan

GG Protector?

I've used a couple pieces of 1/8 inch baltic birch with a walnut spacer. If something goes through this, I have bigger worries than just the ground glass.

Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?