Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music and the 8x10

Music and the 8x10

I'm in it for the fine details, too. In fact I'm in it for the whole darn orchestra, pipe organ and chorus -- and I'm the composer and conductor to boot! (Delusions of grandeur notwithstanding.) ~)

Music and the 8x10

All of a sudden, it appears an 8x10 would be easier to carry than my drum set!

Music and the 8x10

So then, Minox users would be the piccolo players?

:-)

DG

Music and the 8x10

The violin can be passionate and rich too, yet play on a roof top. A group of musicians with spoons and wine glasses can often make a marvelous mix. And most portable and direct, the human voice can travel virtually anywhere a person may be. The imagination, the mind is perhaps the greatest instrument of all; it is the more intimate conductor and often the secret obsessive slave driver or critic. In the hands of a great player, nearly any instrument can bring joy or sadness, or take us to deep feeling.

- confessions of a record player

Music and the 8x10

Maybe there is a similarity between a sousaphone player and us LF photographers. However, I've never seen a sousaphone player with his or her instrument stuffed into/onto a backpack, 20 miles and 5,000 feet of rocky elevation from the nearest road, not knowing whether to quickly set up the tent or shoot two exposures of those threatening storm clouds scaping the tops of yonder mountains. Obviously, musicians are more evolved with larger brains.

Music and the 8x10

A good bass player can always get a gig, but somehow, most kinds of ensembles mysteriously seem to manage without a low brass section.

Music and the 8x10

Brian,
    Hannibal had his elephants, and St. Adams had a mule, no? Even today, one can take a mule or horse packing from Lake Sabrina into the John Muir wilderness. They said they would carefully pack an 8x10 and get it there safely this coming spring. Don't know about skiing with an 8x10 view camera, probably better to get an 8x10 point and shot from Peter Gowland...

David - just as there are digtial cameras, so too there are synthesizers for brass!

Music and the 8x10

St. Adams packing it, with comments on his gear at PBS:
    PBS American Experience - Ansel Adams
    OT:Has anyone seen that show?

Music and the 8x10

I love the tonalities of 12x20/7x17. And finally in the last year or so I got my dream drum set...Gretsch, the set with the biggest most magical sound! After a lifetime as a professional musician I've tried them all but Gretsch is the top in force, speed and character of sound. It's good to use an instrument that totally resonates with your being. Even this week I just received a shipment of Tibetan singing bowls from Kathmandu, Nepal for meditation. There is one large bowl (has to be several hundred years old) in that batch that I have been negotiating for a year for, very rare with a phenomenal sound that I'm elated to have and play. There is really nothing that compares to a quality instrument that is way more than the sum of it's parts. There is nothing like quality for inspiration. Emile.

Music and the 8x10

I tried attaching a Victrola to my 8x10, so I could hear the music, but I kept confusing its hand crank with the focusing knob. ;-)