Thread: CF legs, cleaning, solvents, sonication, lube?

Daniel Geiger

CF legs, cleaning, solvents, sonication, lube?

Let me preface that I subscribe to the idea that equipment should be used (pristine gear in on the shelf does not take pictures), and that for a possible good shot I may shoot in less than ideal circumstances ..... such as a marine mud flat in New Britain, Paupa New Guinea (water, salt, sand, grit, humidity).

The tripods are not quite as happy as they have been. I have a Gitzo 1228 and a 1325, both of which can easily be dis-assembled for cleaning. I did a quick and dirty field clean, with toilet paper and re-lube with high-viscosity silicone grease used to lube o-rings for underwater photography housings, but now it is time for a thorough job. Which brings up the following questions:

- Solvents: Soap water only or can some stronger solvents (benzene, chloroform) also be used?

- To remove the little clay particles, can CF legs be sonicated? The metal fittings and the plastic splice rings for sure, but I'm not that certain about CF.

- What is some good lubrication? Silicone seems to work quite well. I once asked Gitzo, who suggested some automotive grease that I could not get a hold of/figure out what it was. There may be something different between a French "appellation" and term used in the US.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

I've follwed these directions both times I have given my tripods the "once over" - http://www.naturescapes.net/082004/gd0804.htm

Most interesting is that they sell sets of the bushings should yours need replacing....

I, at one time, was considering a carbon tripod but after reading about taking apart and cleaning, lubing and all think I'll stick with my Ries and just wipe it off once in awhile. Just have to take a few more tylenol for my aches and pains.