Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloss Spray for matte fineart inkjet paper

Gloss Spray for matte fineart inkjet paper

Is there a way to give a Matte Hannamule(spelling) paper a "Gloss" finish? Is there any material that would emulate the gelatin you'd find on a silver-gelatin paper? The depth you get on a matte vs glossy inkjet paper is pretty incredible. I'm hoping to be able to coat it to get more of a traditional print look.

Thanks for your help.

bob

Bobby,

The only Gloss spray I ever tried was from a company called "Inkjet Fix." Their matte spray is great.....the gloss spray was the worst piece of garbage I could imagine. No matter what I did, I could not get an even gloss finish on the paper.

Just my 0.02

For what it's worth, I use Premier Art Print Shield on my watercolor prints, and though it allegedly provides UV and related protection, it has no absolutely no discernable gloss-like effect on the paper.

Inkjet prints are inkjet prints. They have their own look, as any media has its own look. If you really want the fabled "air dried fiber darkroom print" look, the best way to get it is to head for the darkroom.

If you insist on trying to imitate another medium, know that there must be way more than 50 different products out there for lamination. Hot lamination, cold, spray, roller, brush, whatever. You can use a hot "pouch" type laminate and get a look like a plastic placemat even. But I don't know of anything that will give you the darkroom look that you want.

One of the coatings I like is made by Liquitex. I use about 1/3 gloss and 2/3 matte and get a pleasing coating for canvas prints. But it doesn't look like an air dried fiber darkroom print by a long shot. I don't coat the print for the look really - I coat it for the UV and dirt/dust protection since I display the print in a frame without any glazing. It's a look all it's own, something that darkroom prints can't touch.

If it's any comfort, you are not alone. Many, many people want exactly what you are after. So if you find anything that works for you, please report back.

Bruce Watson

Hi Bobby,

Funny you should mention this. I tried several of the gloss sprays. Using nearly a whole can of the stuff, it did end up sort of getting there. I decided that "real" B&W photos looked better and probably would last longer. It would seem odd that one would want to take a glorious perfect matte finish and then add gloss! But then, I understand what you're up to.

While I have not tried it, aqueous coating machines are fairly reasonable ( about a grand and up ). Some service shops have them too, and will coat your print in a nice gloss that puts the print bellow the surface. Better than a spray, and cheaper too. Probably better for the print, however I'll defer to others on that one. Google the coating stuff and machines, you'll turn up some interesting ideas worth looking into. Chances are, one of those gloss management printers might be cheaper overall though.

Interesting stuff so far. I'm not looking for a replacement for my darkroom printing. Just thought it might be interesting to see how that rich looking matte print would look with a gloss. A look all it's own I'm sure. It wouldn't surprise me if inkjet paper manufacturers were working diligently on an "post printing" overcoat for matte paper. Might be just the ticket!

Thanks all for your replies.

bob

"Inkjet prints are inkjet prints. They have their own look, as any media has its own look. If you really want the fabled "air dried fiber darkroom print" look, the best way to get it is to head for the darkroom."

Right on.

Actually glass is the great equalizer between matt ink, gloss ink and traditional silver on air dried glossy. Put one of each under glass and the average person could not tell the difference. I love and prefer the look of ink on a good rag paper. Glass kills it, but what do you do.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"company called "Inkjet Fix."

Ink Jet Fix is a spray from Gepe. It is not a surface modifier. It can not make a matte print glossy. Their glossy spray is for use on glossy papers only and makes them waterproof and immune to handling marks.

Their matte spray is for matte papers only and the Semi-Gloss is for other type papers.

So yes, as you discovered, using the glossy spray on other papers does not work.

Old-time pictoralists used to WAX their prints to bring out the deep shadow detail (and protect the surface). Apparently use a pure carnobo(sp?) car wax like Blue Coral or Turtlewax.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Not just old time pictorialists. Some of the moderns coated their prints when the surface quality mattered to them. Strand used many different things, including varnishes.

I'd suggest you look at varnish. If you have access to a very well ventilated area, like a spray booth, a dust free area for drying, and have plenty of time, then you might get the easiest results with a mineral spirits based acrylic varnish, sprayed on (airbrush or hvlp). Water based materials are much friendlier to work with and dry faster, but getting the surface right is a lot harder. I'm still trying to figure it out.

There are a lot of reasons to put a gloss coat on inkjet prints, and I think it's a specious argument to say this is making them look like something they're not. Artists varnish paintings, photographers have a long history of varnishing and waxing silver prints, there are people who coat platinum prints in gelatin. It's about getting a surface that has whatever visual qualities you want and whatever durability you need. If you're making a book with a fragile carbon ink process, you probably need much more protection than you're going to get from invisible fixatives.

By the way, a varnished Piezography print is one of the most stunning things I've ever looked at. I'm hoping to find a magic bullet that will make the process a reasonable one.

And ... it might be worth looking into some of the products that were designed specifically for this. There's a clear coat called giclee spray (ok, enough snickering) and few others designed for outdoor signage. Livick.com posts some test results with these.