I am trying to decide whether to go for the 1800f or a 4x5 enlarger. I like the versatility of scanning and editing in Photoshop, but these damned 8x10 contact prints have persuaded me that LF is the way to shoot and print...
I still love making images with my Hasselblads however, and am not so familiar with the traditional darkroom. I have made prints I am very happy with, but I find that often I have a problem with contrast that is SOOOOO easy to fix in photoshop. Problem is, I will not tolerate metamerism! Don't like it, never did, never will.

Stupid question perhaps, in any event, the secret of my ignorance will now be exposed to the light of day:

Can one control contrast as well in the traditional darkroom as one can in the digital darkroom? I am a fast learner, but I need to know this before I give up my MF film scanner for a 4x5 enlarger. I have seen traditional black and white enlargements from 4x5; sublime. I am not willing to settle for less...maybe piezography and digital will approximate silver....?

Hope this makes sense...