Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on loading 4x5 film into the holders - Help needed

Re: Tips on loading 4x5 film into the holders - Help needed

I forgot: How I learned. Right here on the Forum. Look at this link--takes you to the process I use.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/loading.html
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Follow-on question from someone so new I haven't even ordered my 1st batch of 4X5 film: What sort of protection does the film have from the light while in the box? In other words, does the box of film have to be kept in the dark itself? Are the sheets of film individually wrapped like a roll of 120, or is there a risk of light leaks with every sheet? Does anyone ever use the same cotton gloves we use to handle negatives when loading film holders? Finally, while I see boxes of 100 and am drawn to the savings, I'm also thinking that maybe boxes of 25 to start out would minimize the potential cost of blowing it.... while still learning the handling issues? Okay if you screw up a box of 25... yeah that's not cheap. But screw up your handling of a box of 100 sheets, now we're talking some real live regret. One thing I can say for my experience in photography is that if it can go wrong... there's a good chance it will.

Start small. I've always had a darkroom, I start by sitting down at a clean table. Get your film holders open and organized. Dry clean hands. If you plant a finger on the emulsion with any humidity at all you will leave a print. Once you get used to handling the film it's easy. Film boxes have 3 parts. When you take the outer lid off, there's a second inner box.
    I'm old 62, I use IR toy goggles. I have lost some feeling in my fingers. But it is very straightforward to do by feel.

One caution, if you use a changing bag make sure you are comfortable, sweating and damp makes it a challenge.

Click on the link in Peter Collins' post #11. A lot of what you want to know is explained there.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Follow-on question from someone so new I haven't even ordered my 1st batch of 4X5 film: What sort of protection does the film have from the light while in the box? In other words, does the box of film have to be kept in the dark itself? Are the sheets of film individually wrapped like a roll of 120, or is there a risk of light leaks with every sheet? Does anyone ever use the same cotton gloves we use to handle negatives when loading film holders? Finally, while I see boxes of 100 and am drawn to the savings, I'm also thinking that maybe boxes of 25 to start out would minimize the potential cost of blowing it.... while still learning the handling issues? Okay if you screw up a box of 25... yeah that's not cheap. But screw up your handling of a box of 100 sheets, now we're talking some real live regret. One thing I can say for my experience in photography is that if it can go wrong... there's a good chance it will.

Simplest method:

Hold the film between your right thumb and first finger, with the long dimension toward you.
    The emulsion is then facing you.

With the holder laying flat on a table...
    Place the first and middle fingers of your left hand on the ends of the film rails.

Hold the loading gate open with your right little finger and feed the film under your left fingers.

Push it all the way in until it seats.

Close the loading gate and insert the dark slide.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Practice with a piece of paper in the light. Eventually you'll learn a way that works for you. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Simplest method:

Hold the film between your right thumb and first finger, with the long dimension toward you.
    The emulsion is then facing you.

With the holder laying flat on a table...
    Place the first and middle fingers of your left hand on the ends of the film rails.

Hold the loading gate open with your right little finger and feed the film under your left fingers.

Push it all the way in until it seats.

Close the loading gate and insert the dark slide.

- Leigh
    This is exactly what I do. While you can be assured that there is a small area of non image space around the edges of the film and it does not matter if you pinch hold it there, the most important thing is to do what you can do and not drop it on the floor trying to do it somebodies other way.

If you're having trouble loading 4x5 film holders, load some larger holders first. 8x10 or 11x14. After that 4x5 will be very easy.

I've said this before. But I still claim it's true. And as other folks suggested, practice, practice, practice!

Duolab123: Just for the record, I am old, too. If 62 is old, then come June I'm joining you right there. And yet here I am a beginner. All my life, I've always been a beginner - even at things I know very well. It's what keeps me moving.
    Thanks for your input. I admire your night vision head gear.

One thing we overlook is how we shed skin which commonly appears as dust in our homes. It is important when loading film holders even if you take care to clean them (a separate subject). Worst case is changing bags/tents. It helps to use disposable cotton gloves.