Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signs that Kodak won't discontinue film soon?

Signs that Kodak won't discontinue film soon?

Looks like EK may be a good prospect for short selling. I sure wouldn't go long on this company.

What digital segment is it that Kodak is into now; Chips?
    For the profit margin, inks seem to be pretty high priced.

My neighbor was the last head of film R&D for EK and now he gardens a lot. Employment in the area has declined from 60K to 15K over the last 20 years. The most profitable areas - digital prepress, digital consumer, etc. don't require as many US employees as traditional production. I suspect they will sell off more and more divisions and end up being concentrated on being a friendly consumer brand along the lines of many other favorite old time brands now owned by disparate investors. They may also do well as prepress - digital printing supplier (Creo and Scitex, etc.)

But I doubt they will still be selling us professional film in a few years, as the remaining consumer stuff will come from China.

I don't think Kodak will be out of business soon. I do think that they have given away their photo business by doing very dumb things. I used to support Kodak completely years ago. I still remember the sign over my shop that said "we use Kodak products for a good look" Kodak was supporting the photographers and we were supporting them. Until, they charged way too much, added stupid junk like photo disc, aps etc. and spent millions trying to get new customers who knew little about photography and forgot about their hard core customers, the professionals and photo enthusiasts. It's a shame! They've given away the maket that they made to others! But, Kodak is in everything! Chemicals, medical, and many other products that we don't realize they're involved in. Kodak will be in business, but not in the photography business. Eastman must be turning over in his grave.

Kodak will continue to produce film. They will merge with Agfa to form Agfak, only to come near the brink of bankruptcy, but be saved at thel last minute by merging with Polariod to become Polagfak.

Kodak is the largest supplier of professional chips for the digital industry. 22, 30 and 39 megapixel ccd´s are made by Kodak (and Dalsa) I was at hospital visiting a friend a few weeks ago - all their new high tech scanning devices where from kodak. I am sure film and chemistry was a big thing for Kodak some years ago, but I´m sure they have made serious thought before going digi. Motion picture ??? the complete starwars saga where shot on Sony digis...not film..I am sure Kodak will exist well in 10 years. they have to feel the pain of reconstructing a huge company from old to new. unfortunately this affects us as being retro classics, still using film.
    I think when agfa is gone, there might be a bit more room for other manufacturers. I work in a pro camera store in Copenhagen, Denmark - the only agfa product we have been stocking for the last 5 years is Rodinal 500ml..kodak is still doing fine. unfortunately Kodak in Denmark has been reduced to 2 persons with cellphones and a switcboard in Sweden, no stock, no showroom etc.
    I still have positive thoughts on analogue photography, but there will comes changes that has to be accepted as progress, not as downfall

i do not know of on single photographer or laboratory digital or otherwise here in madrid that have a good word to say about kodak. i have never heard such sustaind bad critiism towards any single company ever. it really is olymic medal winning stuff, i mean they must have really been deliberatly trying to make people, hate them...

martin the complete starwars saga where shot on Sony digis...not film

Are you absolutely sure about that? The re-release of Episode 1 was remastered to digital, but was it orginally digital? I think now. The University of Illinois Circle Campus, did some of the 'digital' work: the rendering of the rotating mothership, taking weeks to rotate it, but that's about the only digital I'm aware of.

From an recent article from Business Week...

"Kodak executives, while exuding optimism, are preparing a change in the company's organization that could make it easier to sell off assets. Starting in January they'll divide the company into four distinct units -- consumer digital, commercial printing, health care, and traditional film -- each with its own financial report. "

I am curious if someone purchases the film unit are they also purchasing the emulsion formulas? Also in the same article it is mentioned that Kodak is selling off patents... is it possible that they are selling their formulas or is this more likely to be part of the cannibalization of acquisitions? Thanks!

Big Negs Rock!

I think the biggest asset is Bldg. 19 where all the new Vision Motion Picture films are made. It's an amazing factory! And engineering accomplishment.

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com