Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film choice

Film choice

I've been using FP4 in 5x7" for alternative process. It's been affordably until my local supplier decided to increase the price substantially. I am thinking of switching to J&C400. My concern is J&C400 might be discontinued in the near future since I understand it is made by the troubled (is that true?) Forte factory. The last thing I need is to switch from film to film. Alternatively, I could bite the bullet & go back to my first love, Tri-X. So before I decide on either J&C400 & Tri-X, did I missed out on other film choices? Thanks!

Film choice

What speed film do you prefer? With 125 FP-4, 320 Tri-x, and J&C 400 you're covering a lot of speeds. If you're settled in on a asa 125, why not look at 100 and 200 iso films that are kind of in the same ball park, at least speed-wise?

OTOH, If the financial health of a manufacturer is your concern, then buy their products so they can stay in business! Can you mail order FP-4 at a more attractive price? I haven't checked, but Freestyle might still have some private label Arista Pro (FP-4) in 5x7. Or Photo Warehouse.

Efke, Forte, and Foma (and their private label incarnations) from eastern europe are, IMHO fine films and I've been happy with the results I've gotten. If the 'big guys' fold ( like Agfa) I don't think I'd personally be at any great loss other than for aerial films and of course TMax 400 (and then only because of the great reciprocity characteristics it offers)---but hey, I can adjust.

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Film choice

It's my understanding that Forte is under new management and is doing well. However, if you want the up-to-the-minute story, just email John at J&C and express your concern to him. He's very up-front about what's going on with his various suppliers and will tell you if he believes Forte is in for the long run or if they're in trouible. Although it seems strange in this day and age, John is a very honest retailer, and I've always gotten the truth from him when I asked him a question. (He usually takes a few days to answer, as business seems to be good...but his emails are always worth the wait.)

You can also look at this thread for his opinion on the heath of Forte (his username at APUG is jandc): http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18680&highlight=forte

Best of luck to you.

Film choice

Unless you're doing great quantities of commercial work, the cost of film is a relatively minor piece of the photographic pie. Bite the bullet and pay the price (and help keep your local source in business, while you're at it).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Film choice

My suggestion would be to shop around for mail order prices on FP4 from (let me emphasize) reliable firms.

A local supplier used to be a wonderful thing. But there is so little business in servicing our needs, these neighborhood camera stores must treat us as a tiny sideline to their main profit-makers. And their stock of LF supplies tends to sit around for a looong time.

I see that B&H has 25-sheet boxes of 4x5 for $22.95 and 5x7 for $36.95. Thus, they are selling 5x7 for less per square inch than 4x5.

Black and white 5x7 has been an orphan format ever since formal portraiture and high school graduation portraits were shifted to smaller format color, and now digital.

So little 5x7 equipment and film is sold, I would expect to pay big money for it. Therefore the B&H prices come at quite a pleasant surprise.

Film choice

John, I've been using FP4 because it's good and affordable. I have to put up with the speed though. Now that the price has doubled, it's dearer than the Tri X which is faster, and I do like the look of Tri X. J&C400 is a natural choice as these films are all suitable for extended development. In my order of preference: price, quality, speed. And I don't want to test films anymore.

Bill, I will bite the bullet if I have no choice. In the meantime, I'll scout around and vote with my pocket. And if I were doing great quantities of commercial work, money's no problem!

Dave, Thanks! I might do just that. But I'm just a little sceptical from stories of Kodak, Ilford, Agfa, New India's Stirling, etc.. Non of these firms has managed to restore consumers confidence.

Thanks to all.

Film choice

Thanks John. I have looked at the B&H's prices. My choice would be Tri X at $70 for 50 sheets. As I wrote earlier, I like Tri X, and the reason I have been using FP4 was it's previous low price. I do appreciate your posting as well as the others. I gather that the confidence level in B&W product isn't too optimistic.

Film choice

If you are really concerned about film costs (and I think it's all going to go up in price of the next year or two) stock up on Freestyle FP4 at these prices and stick it in the freezer (this is the last of what they have)

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=997

but really, unless you are shooting a few hundred sheets a month, B&W film is cheap
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Film choice

This is the third message I've seen recently complaining about the price of film. Wake up guys. It's going to cost more. When an entire market almost disappears in the space of a decade those few staying in it have to get prices up to cover costs and make a profit. IMHO if you're going to stick with film you should stick with one company that makes the film you like and be prepared to pay the price, not move from one company to another whenever you can find a better price. Every time I read about yet another film-based company going out of business (see Agfa for this week's story) or another 20% drop in some company's film revenues (see Kodak for this week's story) I think we're fortunate to have any choices in film at all. If you don't like the price of high quality film made by a known company with outstanding quality control such as Ilford don't prolong the agony, just buy a digital camera and be done with it. End of rant.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Film choice

let me get this straight, you feel the best film for you is Tri-X but you are to cheap to buy it? Are you interested in making the best pictures you can or not? If not, why bother - $20 or so a box more than cheapo mitteleuropa film is too much?