Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is Infinity?

Where is Infinity?

.....my wife's credit card balance ;-0

Where is Infinity?

jj

Give Mr Photo a try. He'll know if the spools of film he has will fit in a K-24. I'd email him through his eBay store---hes the guy who sells frozen, dated Kodak aerial films like Aerecon and Panatomic in 5" and 9-1/2" rolls.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Where is Infinity?

I asked my pal, the Southern Baptist preacher, about the location of infinity.

He said it’s right by the place he likes to go fishing in Northwestern Maine, about “seventy miles beyond the Great Commission”.

Where is Infinity?

I like Peter Collins' answer. But just to be pedantic, there are, of course, a whole lot of infinities -- an uncountably infinite set of infinities in fact. So there's nothing special about an infinity not equalling another infinity. (See what happens when you live in the circle of confusion?)

Where is Infinity?

For my Leicas, it's the lattice work gate across the lake behind my house. For my Technika it's the Moon.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Where is Infinity?

Funny guys! Okay, then what's an Infinity STOP?

It's like a safety device to keep you from looking beyond Infinity and scareing the heebie-jeebies out of you? Eh?

Where is Infinity?

Greetings,

50 and 200 x the focal length have been suggested, but I believe that is way too conservative. Years ago I remeber reading a paper on lenses and optics and the number I remember being touted for calculations requiring infinity was 1000 x the focal lenght of the lens.

Regards, Pete

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Where is Infinity?

"but I believe that is way too conservative"

do you mean not conservative enough?

i was just wondering about this the other day ... no one ever told me where infinity was. it just seemed a bit closer with wide lenses.

Where is Infinity?

I saw a personalized license plate that read NBYOND. Closer inspection revealed that the vehicle was an Infinity...hehe...

Where is Infinity?

The rule I've seen for selecting an object to set the infinity focus of a lens is that it should be at least 50x focal length -- but with focal length in mm, and distance to the object in feet. So, for a 200 mm lens, you'd want to use an object at least 2 miles away (about 10,000 feet).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D