Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying this for Macro photography

Thinking of buying this for Macro photography

Guys
    I’m thinking of buying a Rodenstock Macro 210mm lens to use with my Chamonix 8x10 to shoot flowers and basically close up macros.............. what do you guys think of this lens??
    Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Thinking of buying this for Macro photography

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Guys
    I’m thinking of buying a Rodenstock Macro 210mm lens to use with my Chamonix 8x10 to shoot flowers and basically close up macros.............. what do you guys think of this lens??
    Neil
    Excellent for. 1:3 to 3:1 if you have enough bellows for the ratios and a good enough head to support the camera using that much draw.

As Bob said! My Wehman got really wobbly with a 20" Ilex at portrait distance, so I added an extra tripod point on the camera. Or just place the camera on the same table as the motif?
    The 210 has max aperture f5.6, and this makes life more easy

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

It's a great lens (I had one for years) but isn't the focal length rather short for 8x10 ? In other words, isn't the angle of view rather wide ? Are you concerned about foreshortening ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Are you concerned about foreshortening ?
    What’s that??
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

What’s that??
    I had to google, and Wikipedia site about perspective came up

What’s that??
    Here's an example of foreshortening: When shooting at close distance, near portions of the subject appear disproportionately larger than distant portions the subject.

To avoid foreshortening we can choose a lens of normal or longer focal length, which will allow us to shoot at a normal or greater distance from the subject. At greater distance, the apparent difference in size between near and far portions of the subject is ameliorated.

On 8x10 a typical normal focal length is 300mm. In rough terms, a 210mm lens on 8x10 is like a 105mm lens on 4x5 or a 35mm lens on 35mm film or "full-frame" digital. Would you do macro work with a wide angle lens ? Only if you wanted that particular sense of perspective: it's your creative choice.

I used my 210mm Macro Sironar on 4x5 and 5x7. You can view some sample images here. In all cases, perspective appears normal, not exaggerated because using a longer lens allowed me to fill the frame from a greater distance.

Even for portraits, shooting distance (and subsequent choice of lens to fill the frame) affects perspective: see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4164807. At close distance with a wide angle lens, we observe foreshortening: the noses in these portraits appear to be enlarged.

Guys
    Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I had to google, and Wikipedia site about perspective came up

Foreshortening is not perspective.
    It is the optical effect that items closer to the lens are reproduced larger then items further from the lens. The shorter the Ellen’s the greater the effect, the longer the lens the smaller the effect.

Distortion is controlled by the angle not the focal length.

You could get the 300mm Makro Sironar if foreshortening is a problem (shooting round plates that need to remain round) but you will need much more bellows extension and this is a much heavier lens then the 210.

If you are shooting objects head on then foreshortening is not a problem, neither is shooting irregular shaped things like rocks or flowers. It all depends on what you need to shoot and what result you need.

On 8x10 a typical normal focal length is 300mm.

In rough terms, 210mm lens on 8x10 is like a 105mm lens on 4x5 or a 35mm lens on 35mm film or "full-frame" digital.

If Pepper No 30 is on 8x10", and 3:1 scale, it would be like a 210mm on 35mm film. You have to try it to see believe it Have not tested, only done the math: 35*2=70mm at 1:1. 3*70=210mm

At close distance with a wide angle lens, we observe foreshortening: the noses in these portraits appear to be enlarged.
    This is also can be named "nose job", or "recent septorhinoplasty", or Taekwondo effect, usual in smartphone headshots, photoshop may solve it a bit. Anyway I'd say that foreshortening (in graphics) is more related to subject's "inclination":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspe...Foreshortening

"Foreshortening is the visual effect or optical illusion that causes an object or distance to appear shorter than it actually is because it is angled toward the viewer".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Foreshortening is not perspective.
    It is... See "Perspective (graphical)" in wiki, section Foreshortening.

_______

IMHO, in photography & paintings, Foreshortening is mostly about an inclinated subject, in the sense explained in the wiki article. (Andrea Mantegna, The Lamentation over the Dead Christ)

And this, of course, it may matter macro work, but not always.