Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Intrepid 8x10 Mark II. - It is in the mail!!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: The Intrepid 8x10 Mark II. - It is in the mail!!

Here it is:20190309_161844 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Just wondering if the Kessler Kwik Stand XL will fit on the MK II, but I can't find any Image of the underside of the camera. Do you think it would fit?

klw

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Just wondering if the Kessler Kwik Stand XL will fit on the MK II, but I can't find any Image of the underside of the camera. Do you think it would fit?

klw
    Do you need it now that the base is made of metal?

20190308_131114 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Thanks a lot It is not about the base of the camera, but about the quick release plates, the wider the better

The Kessler Stand XL is about 152,4 x 111,2mm. How big is the protruding part at the camera base?

klw

klw
    Unlike the previous generation of the Intrepid 8x10 that was completely flat, the mkII has a raised rectangular plate that you attach the QR plate to. The Kessler Kwik Stand XL does fit on the bottom of the MK II, but you have to work around some screws that extend out of the rectangular bottom plate. As a result of the raised plate, the wings don't make full contact with the bottom of the camera. In terms of stability, the Kwik Stand will still be stronger than a regular long plate, but it doesn't have quite the same advantage as on the previous generation with the wings making full contact.

Ben: Are those two holes on the raised plate strong enough to hold the screw from a regular quick release plate? Is the thickness of the aluminum only holding that screw? It looks like it is meant to fail in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    Unlike the previous generation of the Intrepid 8x10 that was completely flat, the mkII has a raised rectangular plate that you attach the QR plate to. The Kessler Kwik Stand XL does fit on the bottom of the MK II, but you have to work around some screws that extend out of the rectangular bottom plate. As a result of the raised plate, the wings don't make full contact with the bottom of the camera. In terms of stability, the Kwik Stand will still be stronger than a regular long plate, but it doesn't have quite the same advantage as on the previous generation with the wings making full contact.
    Thanks a lot So the best solution might be to find a plate that matches the bottom plate as close as possible. I still like the ›side arms‹ from the Kessler plate (and the feet).

It looks like the bottom plate is screwed on. Maybe it is possible to directly attach a permanent Kessler style QR plate

klw

I use my the XL Kessler Plate on any camera, including 35mm.

The Kessler QR and most of their Plates can be used with multiple attaching screws.

Add a 2nd 1/4-20 socket or second plate to the Intrepid. There are many ways to do that. Such as the kit I have, Marson Thread Setter.

However, the Intrepids are sold as ultralite cameras and...

Thanks a lot So the best solution might be to find a plate that matches the bottom plate as close as possible. I still like the ›side arms‹ from the Kessler plate (and the feet).

It looks like the bottom plate is screwed on. Maybe it is possible to directly attach a permanent Kessler style QR plate

klw
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Ben: Are those two holes on the raised plate strong enough to hold the screw from a regular quick release plate? Is the thickness of the aluminum only holding that screw? It looks like it is meant to fail in the future.

The threads are cut into that rectangular plate itself. The metal of that plate has some decent thickness to it, but the screws will most likely extend beyond the thickness of that metal, so not all of the threads on the screw will be in contact. In a perfect world those threads would be deeper and perhaps made out of an even more durable material, but I don't think that will be much of an issue. Most people will attach a plate then leave it on there. When I attached my Kessler Kwik Stand XL, it feels very solid. Perhaps it would be a concern if you are not using a QR plate and you are threading into those screw holes again and again. That all being said, it sure looks like that rectangular plate can be replaced down the line if anything were to happen. It looks to be quite modular in that sense, and I imagine that is the reason for the design.

Thank you Ben. This is what I did: I replace the 1/4" screw of my quick release plate for a 3/8" (because it has a larger circumference therefore more contact with the camera base. Then, I dedicated a QR plate for the camera, to be attached for ever. I feel it stronger on the tripod.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 21-Apr-2019 at 22:36.