Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Intrepid 8x10 Mark II. - It is in the mail!!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

The Intrepid 8x10 Mark II. - It is in the mail!!

Finally my hiking, walking 8x10 camera is coming home. Of course, it will dictate how soon I will get my wooden 8x10. Here are some photos sent by Max. Now, that Intrepid released the camera, I can share those photos with you.

8x10a by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

unnamed by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

unnamed-3 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

unnamed-4 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Re: The Intrepid 8x10 Mark II. - It is in the mail!!

Looks like some nice upgrades.
    Ben Horne Youtube'd a short vid here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLkKdhQNeI
    Is the MK II more expensive?

NO. Same price.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Once you receive it and have time to use it, I'd like to know how stable the front standard is and what it can handle lens weight wise.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithManyHobbies View Post
    Once you receive it and have time to use it, I'd like to know how stable the front standard is and what it can handle lens weight wise.
    I did get it and the front standard is stable, no need to put any tape around it. I used the Nikkor-M 450/9 without problem. In general the camera is now fine. The problems I got were on the quality control of the manufacture. There are several things that broke, I fixed it, not perfectly. The bellows is glued to the standards, but it was skewed and to keep the front standard leveled, there has too be tied with the knobs at all times. Once you lose them to tilt or raise, you have to apply extra effort to keep the front std leveled. A printed plastic stop came off while in transit (in the mail) and I did not noticed until the other side piece broke in front of my eyes (they came unglued). Those little parts are supposed to allow the independent movement of raise/fall and tilt. Onethe springs that hold the back ground glass were screwed up side down (not big there, I unscrewed it and put it back in the correct position). However, the screws on one side were drilled a bit off, so when trying to place the film holder, one of the springs gets off the back. I have to fix that by removing the springs and drilling new holes on the springs and the back. I have not had time, since I am using my Kodak 2D Eastman (8x10), which I recommend. Not impressed with the quality control. I will probably donate that camera to a cause and buy a Chamonix.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    . I have not had time, since I am using my Kodak 2D Eastman (8x10), which I recommend. Not impressed with the quality control. I will probably donate that camera to a cause and buy a Chamonix.
    Quality control appears to be a persistent issue with the build of the 8X10 Intrepid. If I had known what I was in for before ordering, I would definitely NOT have bought one, and instead found a reasonable Kodak 2D instead. It is my impression that the design of the 4x5 does not scale up well to work as an 8x10: the result is a camera that is too fragile and there's too much flex of the components, making it hard to lock things down, etc. Pieces have fallen off mine as well, and the magnets have pulled out of the rear standard, yanking the felt off with them. I should have returned it, and now, I wish I had.

Paul, which version of the 8x10 are you talking about?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Paul, which version of the 8x10 are you talking about?
    Its the version immediately before the recent change to spring loaded backs. It shipped last October.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I did get it and the front standard is stable, no need to put any tape around it. I used the Nikkor-M 450/9 without problem. In general the camera is now fine. The problems I got were on the quality control of the manufacture. There are several things that broke, I fixed it, not perfectly. The bellows is glued to the standards, but it was skewed and to keep the front standard leveled, there has too be tied with the knobs at all times. Once you lose them to tilt or raise, you have to apply extra effort to keep the front std leveled. A printed plastic stop came off while in transit (in the mail) and I did not noticed until the other side piece broke in front of my eyes (they came unglued). Those little parts are supposed to allow the independent movement of raise/fall and tilt. Onethe springs that hold the back ground glass were screwed up side down (not big there, I unscrewed it and put it back in the correct position). However, the screws on one side were drilled a bit off, so when trying to place the film holder, one of the springs gets off the back. I have to fix that by removing the springs and drilling new holes on the springs and the back. I have not had time, since I am using my Kodak 2D Eastman (8x10), which I recommend. Not impressed with the quality control. I will probably donate that camera to a cause and buy a Chamonix.
    Just to clarify, are you taking about the latest model 8x10 Mark II?

-JW:

Would you mind posting a close up of the 3D printed part that broke. Would if be possible to fabricate a lightweight aluminum frame to hold the bellows in place and screw it to the front standard (and/or rear standard)? Just wondering as I have machining and fabrication abilities. Just wondering if all those things can be fixed with a little better design.

Thanks,
    -JW: